Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

Guild Applicant

I have been following this tut and it has been really helpful so far but I have run into a problem on step 5. Similar to someone earlier in this thread I am not sure what the fuzzy circle 19 brush is. I see four fuzzy circle brushes but the hardness for them increases in increments of 25 and they default to a size of 51. I've tried changing one of them to size 10 but that just seems to make them smaller which doesn't seem ideal for drawing mountains. I think this may be because I'm using a newer version of GIMP. Does anybody have any recommendations of what brush or settings I should use?
    Last edited by CarthageCartographer; 12-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    In looking through this thread, I discovered that Gidde posted some very nice brushes along with the tutorial. Unfortunately (for me as a Photoshop user), those brushes are for GIMP and cannot be used directly in Photoshop. So I took it upon myself to convert them to Photoshop .abr brushes for Photoshop users. They were created and posted by Gidde, I merely converted them to .abr so make sure all credit goes to Gidde.

Attachment 72088
    Appreciate this BUNCHES but the white doesn't show up in Photoshop. Any way to fix?

Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terran hand drawn3-1.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	6.36 MB 
ID:	95252 Here's my attempt at folowing the tutorial... Very good IMO. (The tutorial that is)

F.B.

Default Other feature brushes

Hi - Enjoying this foundational tutorial very much, and wondering if anyone has created any additional brushes for use in this style - such as a Jungle/Rainforest/Tropical forest, a Swamp/Marsh, Desert, etc. I have played around with a few from other sources but they do not match up with Gidde's designs too well. I am NOT a GIMP pro, so was hoping to borrow rather than try to create!

Thanks!

Spin

Default My attempt so far

Using the built in brushes and a couple of extras for the swampy areas, I made this attempt to do an artistic of one of my worlds regional maps. No cities or roads or labels yet, but I am excited about how it has turned out so far, and it is definitely help me get a better understanding of how different parts of GIMP work! Of course now I feel the need to learn how to make my own customer brushes

SpinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Azonuu Artistic attempt n1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	100954

I recently used this tutorial in a Photoshop project I'm working on. Some of the steps were difficult to create in Photoshop but overall this tutorial was fantastic!

Praise

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent tutorial and thanks for creating it.

I used it to create the following map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Donndair.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	6.45 MB 
ID:	101258

I'm trying to use this tutorial in photoshop. Luckily, Chick converted most of the brushes. However, the horizontal line brush used to shade the mountains wasn't included in that pack. Does anyone know how I can achieve the same result?

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Have spent many hours playing/learning/adjusting, and come out with some interesting stuff! I have discovered I am completely unable to generate mountains myself! Are the brushes free to use? I want to do a map to accompany my [unpublished/online] writing...

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    In looking through this thread, I discovered that Gidde posted some very nice brushes along with the tutorial. Unfortunately (for me as a Photoshop user), those brushes are for GIMP and cannot be used directly in Photoshop. So I took it upon myself to convert them to Photoshop .abr brushes for Photoshop users. They were created and posted by Gidde, I merely converted them to .abr so make sure all credit goes to Gidde.
    Attachment 72088
    Ok, this might be a bit redundant, but I combined all brushes (animated GIMP brushes, single brushes, Photoshop brushes and source pngs) in a little package. At least I learned to read the full thread first

Thanks a thousand times to Gidde for this awesome tutorial and ironmetal250 for his the artwork!

Brushes for Gidde's Hand-Drawn Mapping Tutorial.zip

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast