Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@hohum: trying the ink tool now. do you have a tablet, or did you just mouse them in? I'm new to GIMP and can't really figure out where to enter the grade of the river. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I bought a cheap tablet from newegg.com, Genius is the brand, it seems to work okay. I just played with the ink settings, flow etc. but started at the top with 1px and just colored down the line adjusting as I felt was necessary. If you haven't done it, really zoom in, at least 200% to do this. I often zoom in to 400% to get things the way I want around the edges or at joins between brush/nib sizes.

Found resolution for my idiocy here: http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/...ry/009613.html Thanks.

Alright Gents,

I hit a roadblock (due to my own ignorance!). I completely skipped over the adding "sea channel" and now that I am trying to add color to my water, it's changing the whole map. Am I at a loss here and have to start over, or is there any way to revive my map? THanks.

So, luckily I have saved my map at intervals and was able to go back and recreate needed channel in older version. Only problem is I can't figure out a way to import it into newer version. lol. Any suggestions?

Not sure of your particulars but you should be able to open both files, select the layer (in the layer stack by clicking and in the drawing window by hitting Ctrl-A) and copy it, move to your working file and paste. If you can't open both files for some reason (too big or whatever) just delete everything but the layer you want to copy and save the file as a new one. Then you can either open both files and do the process I suggested above or you can try the Place function (under the File menu, I believe). Hope that helps.
    M

Just read through this tut Gidde; really nicely done (very easy to follow). Repped & rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great tutorial, however I have stumbled upon the same problem as yosherl mentioned earlier. I looked at your replies, but I am a little confused.
    but this step should have you keep Background visible before the merge, merge and then do the transparency routine i mentioned earlier.
    When you say before the merge, do you mean the merging of the (for example) Hills and Hill Shading or the merging of City, Roads, Hill Shading, Forest Shading, and Mountain Shading?
    Also you mention that you would edit this into the tutorial, not to sound rude but have you done it?
    Again thanks for the tutorial, I have been able to make my map look better than I thought possible

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gidde has been away from the guild for some time now, I'm sure once she returns she will edit her tutorial to reflect questions etc
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi fellows,

I'm having some problems right now. I was following the instructions in the tutorial (it is very clear and easy to follow for a gimp beginner, even for a non-native english speaker!) and I'm stuck in the border section. My problem is when I merge all the visible layers, If I hide the background layer then all the rest of the layers dissapear! (the shading layers only-mountains, hills and forests) What I'm doing wrong? Maybe is a problem of missundertanding but I feel so anxious because the results are being awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast