Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just wanted to give my thanks for this tutorial. The style of maps it creates is absolutely incredible, and matches what I had in my mind's eye almost perfectly.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words!

Hey Giddes,

First off, thanks for the tutorial; I'm planning on making several maps in this vein and its nice to have some steps to follow. Also, while reading through, I realized that I think I can fix a problem you were having. On page 21 of the pdf when talking about stroking selections, you mention that:
    "For some reason, every time I did this, my stroke came out orange. No idea why."
    The reason why is revealed in the screenshot that accompanies the pdf on page 21. There, you have the "Pattern" circle selected. While you probably thought this indicated that you wanted to stroke the selection with your own, user defined pattern, what this instead indicates to GIMP is that you want to stroke the path with a patterned texture instead of a solid color. And the default pattern selected is an orangeish wood grain. I have made this mistake several times in the past as well, and while it is frustrating, is easily fixable.
    All the best,
    -Seleucus

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You're welcome, and thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for this Tutorial Gidde! This is my favorite style of map, and I just finished my very first map, for my new d&d campaign. I couldn't have done it without your tutorial!

First Map: The Kingdom of Eleseen!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eleseen.jpg 
Views:	2739 
Size:	811.6 KB 
ID:	47581

This is just awesome! Thanks for popping my eyes open. This is how I will be making my maps henceforth.

With every new map that gets made with this tutorial it becomes more obvious: this is simply one of the best map tuts ever made!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Gidde with your tutorial someone can make incredible maps! However since i don't use gimp is possible you or anyone else to make a photoshop version of this tutorial?

Anyway, the maps here are really awesome

Hey there! I really loved your tutorial "Hand Drawn Map Tutorial (for the artistically challenged)". It really made GIMP easy for me. I downloaded the program for the purpose of map making but it was so damn complicated and none of the tutorials online hit home until I saw yours. It was really easy making maps your way.
    I e-mailed to bother you of a problem I seem to face. At the point when we are merging all the visible layers keeping 'river', 'coastline' and 'background' invisible, my map isn't turning out as planned. On merging the layers the image becomes grey with only rivers and coastline visible. All the mountains,hills and forests just vanish. I don't know what to do since I'm new to the program. I was hoping you could help and guide me around this problem, if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks a bunch!
    Hope to hear from you soon!

-Shagun

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Thank you for this amazing tutorial, it helped me a lot.

I'll try to make some brushes too, very fun to play with them.

Here's the result:

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast