Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

*SQUEE* Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is EXACTLY the style of map I want to create for one of my campaigns! You just absolutely made my day! Great tutorial!

You are my hero

Guild Artisan

Great tutorial. I just tried it mostly in order to improve my GIMP knowledge.
    It went rather well (I didn't understand why at some point the layers mode had to be set to multiply but I did it anyway).

But I got utterly lost in the Border section.
    What is the purpose ? Just to draw a black rectangle around the image ? If so why not simply draw a black rectangle ?
    Anyway I followed blindly up to page 25 without really seeing what was happening because the black and yellow image outline is hiding whatever happens on the edge.

Then I had to stop at "Make horizontal and vertical guides that line up with the border by clicking and dragging ... "
    What border ? The black and yellow outline ? What should I drag from where ? What is the purpose ?

I know that this is due to the fact that I have never used the GIMP guides yet but could somebody better versed with GIMP than me explain in a simple manner what I am supposed to do and why ?

You'll probably see the reason for the multiply blend mode if you go into your layer stack and change one or two of them back to normal.

Typically, multiply is used to turn white areas of a layer transparent, so the background texture will show through. It's pretty common with a stamp-based isometric workflow because if you're just using brushes, then all the white areas of the brush will be transparent. When you layer them on top of each other, you'll still see the lines from brushes at the back showing through. If you instead use a stamp where the background is actually white, though, you can layer things so that they occlude one another naturally. Then you set the layer to multiply so that the white vanishes, leaving only the lines you want to see.

I haven't read this tutorial, so I don't know if that's the case here, but it's the style of map where that approach usually works well.

It's also useful if you've got an element that you drew on paper and scanned. Just put it over your image and set to multiply, and you'll have wonderfully blended lines. When I made my first map, I tried to delete all of the white areas, and it did not work out so well. Plus it took a really long time. If only I'd known I could get the same result with a single switch!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

This is an awesome tutorial and I am starting on crafting a new world using it. Thanks for puttiing it together as well as the brush set.

Banned User

In looking through this thread, I discovered that Gidde posted some very nice brushes along with the tutorial. Unfortunately (for me as a Photoshop user), those brushes are for GIMP and cannot be used directly in Photoshop. So I took it upon myself to convert them to Photoshop .abr brushes for Photoshop users. They were created and posted by Gidde, I merely converted them to .abr so make sure all credit goes to Gidde.

Brushes by Gidde converted to Photoshop.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    In looking through this thread, I discovered that Gidde posted some very nice brushes along with the tutorial. Unfortunately (for me as a Photoshop user), those brushes are for GIMP and cannot be used directly in Photoshop. So I took it upon myself to convert them to Photoshop .abr brushes for Photoshop users. They were created and posted by Gidde, I merely converted them to .abr so make sure all credit goes to Gidde.

Appreciate this BUNCHES but the white doesn't show up in Photoshop. Any way to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Ok, this might be a bit redundant, but I combined all brushes (animated GIMP brushes, single brushes, Photoshop brushes and source pngs) in a little package. At least I learned to read the full thread first

Thanks a thousand times to Gidde for this awesome tutorial and ironmetal250 for his the artwork!

Brushes for Gidde's Hand-Drawn Mapping Tutorial.zip

First of all: thank you a lot Gidde for the amazing tutorial. And congrats to the mappers who uploaded their attempts (sometimes even very first mapping attempts). I thought they looked wonderful.
    Thanks as well Milesteg for bundling the brushes.

I was trying to recreate the custom brushes in Procreate (iOS app), but there I seem to have hit a snag. I think it's software related and might not be overcome, but I'm asking none the less should someone have had a similar experience. When making a custom brush, black is taken as opaque and white as transparent. When using the brush, the parts that stay 'white' in Gidde's tutorial actually are transparent and so what's underneath shows through that part of the mountain. I presume that the custom brush in GIMP actually takes the mountain as an image and retains the white color like that (I've read somewhere GIMP has 2 types of custom brushes, image or grey-scale). I don't seem to find a way to make a custom brush in Procreate act the same way. If anyone has had better luck, please do share!
    (PS: perhaps it's more appropriate to post this question in the Software Discussion forum?)

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck "Fuzzy Brush 19" is?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by akaddk View Post
    Can anyone help me figure out what the heck "Fuzzy Brush 19" is?
    I would expect it's a round brush of size 19 with hardness set to 0% (fuzzy).

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast