Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Seems Odd

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    if one of the maps I've done for publication turned up there, then I could get in trouble with the company - which is not really what I'm after..
    Maybe I misunderstand you but how could YOU get in trouble with the company you did work for if that art ended up pirated on a website? Unless you mean the company never put it online in any shape or form...I guess I could see that because then it "might" have been you who posted it?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well there are maps that I've created that I have the permission to post in my own portfolio, but that don't appear anywhere else on the web as they are in print products. Those companies require the proper credit wherever the map is posted. Now if it turns up on a separate site like RPGLife then Mongoose might come askign why I posted it there without credit. I'll then have to explain that it wasn't me. Now I don't for a moment suggest that I'd have any trouble convincing them that it's not my fault, but as I'm a member of RPGLife and those are my maps up there I think they'd have a reason to start by asking me. That's just not a good way to be getting contacted by clients.

Ok, I get it now. Good point. I hadn't even thought about that.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Immaterial rights are allways hard to uphold, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. RpgLife have been lax, especially since they actually managed to miss that WotC maps got in there. It looks like an all over good forum, but you can't have one without rules, and you can't have rules without someone checking people follow them. I hope they reply to torstans complaint and revise their forum so they can credit where the credit it due.
    A good way to limit "illegal" uploads is to get people to mark that they have the right to upload the picture (and tell them - we got your IP *lol*), but what would also help would be an actual input box for a credit, with link - cause that makes people think.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

oh... and of course we ourselves could be better at signing our maps. Personally I think I'll find some kind of logo to add to them that would incorporate in most maps - don't think my blue devil head would work for that *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Blog Entries

thanks ... maybe I can make a more discreet version to place in my maps ... but its not as stylish as pasis bird - love that one
    regs tilt

How about a blue smily face with devil horns, simple yet effective. Maybe we should come up with a small logo or something for the maps posted on this guild so we know if someone borrrows our maps without asking.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Mmmm maybe something like a Monogram using the Colwell font which is used for the Cartographers' Guild Title?

Lol...fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cg loco.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	25925  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool, I like the last of the five, it'll make a nice little watermark in the corner somewhere.

May I have your permission to use it?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast