Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Seems Odd

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to seeing that middle finger map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@ Tilt... What you say is true of the regular contributors. However....What percentage of people who have logged in over the past couple of months actually post and contribute? 5% ? 10%? Everyone else is trawling for free tutorials and maps. Many of those people would be downloading art without really reading any of the posts, and are not aware that the usage of those images is restricted. They are probably going to many other sites too. Soon they have a folder full of pretty maps and can not remember where they got each individual image. Often there is no signature so how could they know? A few weeks later they find themselves on another site with a bank of images. So they upload some from their folder and download some from the site. And so on.

There is nothing obvious in place to warn people from doing this innocently or prevent them from doing it deliberately. Now with the new gallery up it will be much more prevalent because casual users will have much easier access to the maps without even seeing the license requirements in peoples sigs. (if that even makes a diference)

Personally I don't care who uses my maps...I wouldn't post them if I did (which is also why you will never see pictures of my children on the internet). But for you pros out there I guess that it is one of the drawbacks of posting on the net. Have you gotten more work from posting here than you would have otherwise? Is it worth taking the risk of copyright breaches to get your work out there?

One more thing I will say though is that the more generic and easily adaptable the map is the more people are going to want it. I've noticed that the unlabeled WIPs are downloaded a lot more than the finished maps. That's why I like to post raw versions, so they are useful to others. A simple watermark over your work will deter most people from taking the image because they are looking for something quick and pretty...not an afternoon of doctoring each image in photoshop.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I've noticed that the unlabeled WIPs are downloaded a lot more than the finished maps.
    Ok, this is going to be a dumb question but how do you see the number of downloads? I know I'm going to put my face in my hand as soon as you tell me
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

you're right of course Aval, most inhere are lurkers, and I agree especially with the new gallery feature they will never see the signature where we keep our copyright info. So thats back to having your signature on the map so people can find you if they want to. I'm guessing thats the best we can do. And I can see that scenario you paint (or map) easily, and if we add to that that EVERYTHING on the web is FREE *sigh* then the rpglife thing happens. Unfortunatly its up to rpglife (and all other sites, this included) to make sure that people aren't idiots and don't break the law, cause its their (and our) ass on the line.
    Concerning the number of people watching the maps, I think the reason for the high number in WIP is that people inhere spend a lot of time in there critisizing and helping and when the Finished map is uploaded a lot of people don't go there, cause they've seen the finished WIP - or at least they only go one time.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Maybe we could remove the lurkers, but that may be unfair, or put a rule in place that encourages people to contribute a bit more, I think that if people want to be members of this site they should contribute in some way, at least post one map or something like that. That and install a watermark feature.

Just an idea...

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

I would never have found this place if it wasn't for a lurker - cause one of my friend who DM's a game I'm in found it in search for battle maps for D&D, he told me about it - and I haven't left since *lol*

I think the only way to "activate" the lurkers is to just continue how we do - by being nice to everybody and making sure that people are accepted no matter if they post maps or not. I don't think we'll get the majority of lurkers to participate - they are probably just here to get maps for their games, but every now and then a lurker "jumps out" of the darkness and join the debate - and thats cool

Personally I don't care about the watermark feature - they have it on DA and I don't use it there either (even though my maps and art are for sale there), but I'll start adding a symbol of my own to my maps - and hope people who repost it, don't remove it
    regs tilt

Fair enough, it was just a spur of the moment idea.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

the sentiment is fine - its the means of execution that are limited..
    regs tilt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Maybe we just block downloading because even if I put a little thing on my map about copyright someone can always just crop that out or cover it up (I've seen it done countless times). Maybe we have a public forum and a private forum and you have to be approved to get into the private area (sort of like what we have for CLs and IPs) and put basic stuff in the public area. But the bottom line is that if someone is really intent on taking credit for someone else's work they will figure out ways to do so...lots of insecure teens (children really) out there want some kind of notoriety and will do these sorts of things. The other thing to note is that if someone wants to hire them to make a similar map for them then they won't be able to so they're found out in time. I could never replicate a Ramah map the way he does it or Torstan or anyone...even though I know how and there are free brushes to use. The real signature is in the style which comes from a multitude of little things.

PS I'm horrid sick so maybe none of that makes any sense.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I think it would be a shame to block downloading - A lot of lurkers out there probably use our maps for their games, and I'm fine with that - pleased even ... although feedback would be nice
    regs tilt

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast