Thread: WIP - Archipelago

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The cartoony feeling may be a result of the size of your symbols; try reducing their size relative to the area you're mapping and see if that feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    The cartoony feeling may be a result of the size of your symbols; try reducing their size relative to the area you're mapping and see if that feels better.
    Actually, after a little bit of number crunching and tinkering I've realized that the little spot I was working on is a little over two inches wide when printed out. Unless the map is drawn by tinkerbell with a tiny pen... this map is actually impossible in the game world.

I definitely think I'm going to restart... after reading up on some other tutorials. I'll still have to figure out on my own how to adapt a map for a near complete landless archipelago. And I may reduce the size of the overall map somewhat, 6000x4800 might be a touch too large.

Then again, if I can decide on a good look for the seatrees and the giant mangroves, I think I can make a big bunch of random brushes for GIMP to make placing things easier.

Too bad there's not an emoticon for going back to the drawing board...

Well, I've gone back to the drawing board and have a general idea of this concept. Still not certain I like it, but I can't honestly think of any other way to show a map in this campaign world. The good news for this change is that I can accurately calculate distances traveled on this map, as it is a full overhead view. It also gives the sea-trees the proper form, the spiral shape in the previous concept didn't really do the things justice.

I've also decided that I need another type of "land-mass", so to speak. So, I've come up with Marishrooms, a type of huge mushroom that grows out of shallow but murky water.

I also learned and put to use the ability to make custom animated GIMP brushes. I really need, now to decide on the scale of the map, so I can have a good idea how big everything is. Time to pull out my trusty 3d modeling program...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArchipelagoWIP.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	25760