Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
thanks for the background - always nice to know whats behind the map ... only thing I don't understand is capping the level - I can understand that one might want to limit spells, but capping the level at 6th is pretty early on, and one would think that people develop beyond that ... it also limits the number of monsters - but then again, in your world they might not exist at all... anyway, very exiting - good job
Although the level is capped at 6, every 5,000 XP after that, characters can gain an extra feat. And a LOT of feats are available. The choice of 6 is simple... a number of people calculated that the level 1 to 5 range is accomplishable by real human beings. At 6 or higher and you progress to a level of inhuman ability. Jumping, balancing, research, science, strength, etc. are all far more astounding beyond that point. Here is the best explanation I have ever seen for this evaluation: The Alexandrian.

As for monsters, well, I have to adjust some things, but in my humble opinion, the overabundance of higher level monsters is caused by a need to provide more and more complicated and challenging monsters as characters progress beyond 6th level. In addition, it makes those battles against CR 8+ enemies all the more epic for it. Generally CR 10 is at the top end of the range, and at that challenge rating and higher, some extra benefits will be needed to take down such a monster.

At 6th level, a single character can take on a few 1st level enemies... but he can't go and annihilate an entire city. If anything, the level cap is there to make an unrealistic game a bit more realistic. Also... at higher levels, there is a greater chance that certain classes will far outshine others. This is why the Tome of Battle sourcebook was created... and in effect, that book just made fighters and such into--- Magical fighters. :/ I prefer to solve the problem by eliminating the top end imbalance, by reducing the top end.

The average population is 1st level, not including children. Any blacksmith can ply their trade well enough at 1st or 2nd level, and a legendary blacksmith will be only 3rd or 4th. Leaders of militaries and governments can easily be lower than that. I think a few of our recent American presidents don't qualify as even 3rd level. The biggest reason I've seen against this play style is the fact that 20 levels is what's shown. People tend to think that people like Gandalf HAD to be a 20th level wizard, despite the fact that he never did anything in the novels or movies above the capacity of a 3rd level wizard. Aragorn, for instance, was probably not a high level character. He was depicted as a real human being, who had real limitations and abilities.

Then there's the fact that spells such as resurrection and stone to flesh are only accessible with a long and drawn out ritual in the Archipelagos, and thus death and the evil "save-or-die" spells are much more realistic threats. Though I'll also be using a system where a player can risk the potential death of their character at limited times, in return for a bonus to other actions. All other times, their character may be defeated, but won't die just because.

Finally, one of the best reasons for this style of play: A GM can afford to be lazy when playing this way. Specing a new 5th level enemy is much easier in comparison to an 18th level enemy with 6 monster hit dice. Thus, I can spend more time creating the unique languages, cultures, and world, rather than depend on expensive, and more and more rare, sourcebooks. I use house rules that give the game world the flavor I want... such as a variant of the Defense Bonus house rule from OGC Unearthed Arcana, which will support a more swashbuckling style of play, and reduce the need for full plate armor. (How fast does a person wearing heavy metal armor sink into the world covering ocean?)

Okay... back to work on the map after the digression. And thanks for the "good job"!