Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Need something new to read

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yeah, but if you really think about it, what was totally cool in a graphic novel would have looked ridiculous on the big screen, even if they had portrayed it perfectly.

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

I have 2 all time favorite books:

Armor by John Steakley Jr.
    Rings of the Master by Jack L. Chalker (4 book series) Lords of the Middle, Pirates of the Thunder, Warriors of the Storm, Masks of the Martyrs
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Thanks Mid! Let me know how you end up liking that one. [Jonathan Strange& Mr Norrell]
    Well, it spent an awful long time getting to the point. Throughout most of the book, not much happened, then it dumped almost the entire plot into the last sixty pages or so. It certainly evoked Victorian literature, but that isn't necessarily to the good. It read very much like Literature without having any of the requisite significance thereof.

Shortly after that one, I read To Say Nothing of the Dog, which is a time travel story in which the main character winds up in rural Victorian England. It was much lighter and more amusing, and it wasn't oppressively long. I don't recall the author off the top of my head, but if you like time travel, I recommend it.

Sorry for the latency in this reply! I forgot to come back here to leave my comments after I finished it. But it's only been 10 months, so I guess it could have been worse!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm currently reading Abercrombies "The Heroes" his 5th book, definitly worth a read if you like the gritty dark world he portrais - I love his characters and the clear winner this time around (as cool char.) is Bremer dan Gorst who's bitter thoughts about what he sees is a great read indeed.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm re-reading Martin's ASOI&F again, in preparation for the 5th book's release (FINALLY!!!).

So, in a serious thread necro, I'm rezzing this thread since it has a ton of good book info already.

Now that it's rezzed, I just have one thing to say: Read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. If you dig audiobooks, listen to it instead; Wil Wheaton narrates it and is amazing (as usual). I was hesitant to jump into another dystopic after being rather disappointed by the Hunger Games trilogy, but Ready Player One was a total nerdgasm. If you lived through the 80's and gamed, geeked, or even just liked all (or any) of the guilty-pleasure teen movies, this book will make you feel like the author just wrote a huge inside joke aimed directly at you. I loved it.

PS. In case anyone has read it or reads it due to this post, I have to brag (spoiler-free). I got the second key's riddle instantly. Yay me. I was in the car listening, and instantly yelled "It's [insert reference here]!" It then took the protagonist 2 HOURS of audiobook to figure it out. I felt so smart.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I loved the hunger games - although book 3 dissapointed :/ ... I'm currently reading Valisar trilogi by Fiona McIntosh and Magic of Twillight trilogy by Farell. Also, Brandon Sandersons "Way of kings" is way recommended, although it isn't finished yet. And I am of course looking forward to fall/xmas and the last Wheel of Time book.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Heck yes. That final WoT book is going to ROCK. Can't wait. I liked Way of Kings ok, but I'm hoping it was suffering from first-book-lots-of-intro, because I could have done without half the flashback-type stuff. It just seemed really slow. But the magic system is (of course) brilliant, and the story is intriguing. I'll certainly pick up the next one. Have you read his latest Mistborn book? It's steampunkish, set a few hundred years after the events of the trilogy, and it was great.

If your looking for something new to read i would definitally recommend anything written by Bernard Cornwell, especially the Sharpe, or Saxon trilogies

I'm *always* looking for something new to read Thanks for the suggestions!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast