Not to be annoying (which I probably am) but doesn't that shop look rather modern? I believe it was not 50 years ago that in stead of browsing around, the shopkeeper would in stead ask how to be of service, and get the stuff FOR you.

Another thing, about Sharpe's post... not to be a spoilsport (which I probably am) but I do not believe that a horse-and-cart combination has a reverse... and thus is incapable of 'backing up'. This problem lies in how a 'draft' animal is attached to the cart. Though I might be wrong... I just have never seen a cart back up in my life.

Removing draft animals, and manually backing up would I guess be possible, but I guess side-loading would be easier. I also suspect people weren't as 'ergonomic' as we are today, and just loaded and unloaded carts with a human chain (a row of people, just passing objects from one person to another). For larger storage buildings, in Europe it was custom to build high, take the effort to hoist it all up in one go, so later, you would only have to drop it down. After all, dropping stuff is easier than getting it back up

And before I forget, even though I've got a lot to say about it, I still think it looks great!