Greetings!

Hope this is the right forum to ask this. I'm new to GIMP and image editing in general, so, please be gentle with me. I posted this question on GIMPTalk too, but this forum is what turned me on to GIMP and seems to have the largest source of information on it that I've found so far.

Though I read a tutorial on shadows and searched this forum, I didn't find what I seek.

Here is a .GIF of part of my labyrinth game:

I made just the maze layer, white background layer, and two drop shadow layers visible and saved a copy as a .GIF so you all could see what I'm trying to accomplish.

The drop shadow layers look good, but I can't help but think there is a better way. Drop shadows are made to make the image look like it is floating above the background. I want a shadow to make the "walls" of the maze look like they are standing in three dimensions by hitting it with a light source from the north-west corner.

Is there a quick, easy way to do this, or is the drop shadow good enough? Don't get me wrong, I like the drop shadow and it's easy to use, but really, it's not technically right if you look very closely.

Or, maybe there is a way to adjust the drop shadow to get what I want?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

-Sharpe