Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Map

Quote Originally Posted by StillCypher View Post
    Very nice. Simple and elegant. Are there going to be any cities, or would that be overkill? I almost hate to see the clean space interrupted by them...
    There will be cities and towns and dungeons and points of interest and much more, however, I'm going to make sub-maps for this continent that will show all the details of each country. Within each country i will make maps of each major city and dungeons. Eventually, this map will be interactive. You will be able to click on certain areas of the map which will bring up a more detailed map of that area. that's the plan anyway.

Right now, I'm still working on polishing this one up and tweaking a few things such as the color of the water. I've been fiddling with that since I put in the coast and I think I've just about got it now. thanks to Katto and Seretur for pointing it out and thank you to everyone for your encouraging comments and compliments. It keeps me inspired and itching to get finished.

Wow, that sounds complicated and involved!!! I hope we get to see the finished product. Sounds like it's going to be awesome.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Umm, deltas split

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgamma View Post
    Umm, deltas split
    Not necessarily. a wide opening into the ocean isn't impossible. And it's also possible to represent many tiny little rivers with one wider river. I don't know what he was going for there, but if I were him, I wouldn't have put infinite little sub-rivers on there either. It would clutter it up.

are you guys talking about the little island below the southern bay?
    Last edited by Slylok; 07-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Don't think so. I think he was referring to how all your rivers end in triangles, instead of lots of mini-rivers. I don't know whether you intended those to be deltas, and didn't want to clutter it, or if the river actually widens like that. Either way would work, and it looks better than a lot of mini-rivers.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

It's also a fairly common stylistic choice for hand-drawn maps. I see it quite often on maps in books I read.

I didn't really have a reason for doing it the way I did other than thats what I thought a river would do once it got closer to the ocean. After looking at some coastlines on google earth and looking up some definitions, I see what Darkgamma was saying by how the river splits many times, pushing and depositing alluvial soil and empties into the ocean forming a delta. I also saw many places where the river just gets very wide and empties into the ocean which forms a bay. So, once I start making the more detailed region maps, i will define the deltas, coves, and bays. I think most of them will be bays since they can be seen from the continental map.

I'm so glad to be a part of this community. Its discussions like these that really help to refine and improve what we're doing. I don't think I would have thought of this unless it was pointed out. So, thank you all for your input.

(Have a look at how the Mississippi River meets the Gulf of Mexico. Its special to say the least )

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    I'm so glad to be a part of this community. Its discussions like these that really help to refine and improve what we're doing. I don't think I would have thought of this unless it was pointed out. So, thank you all for your input.
    Well said, I totally agree, I love these conversations (even when I don't actively participate)

(Have a look at how the Mississippi River meets the Gulf of Mexico. Its special to say the least )
    Yep, the Mississippi delta is certainly worth a look for anyone interested in this sort of thing. It's incredible!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Or the incredible mess of intertangled rivers and canals in southern Florida... that's enough to give a mapper a heart attack.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast