Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Campaign Island - WIP

This is the sort of texture I have been envisioning for the forest. I think it was an effect created in PS opposed to a texture though. I could probably create a similar look in PS but I've never been successful at creating seamless textures. I even played around a bit in genetica and was completely lost.

I have quite a number of top-down individual trees from CSUAC, SMAC, DJ, etc. I may try placing them that way at a very small scale and see how they look.
    ________
    herbalaire
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that could alwasy be a way to go... place a small group of trees.. merge them together and place a small group of small groups of trees... merge them together and place a small group of... you know where this is headed

there is at least one tutorial for making seamless textures in here.. .basicly you take your texture - cut it in half vertical shift the halfes so the outer borders are now in the middle - then you merge them again - then you cut it in half horizontally and shift the halfs again and merge again - so now all your outer borders are seamless cause they represent what used to be the middle. Then you fix the new middle with healing brushes, stamp tools etc to make it look good (remember not to get to close to the new edges) and Voila! a seamless texture
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

really nice map.
    To make a comment, I think the difference in tone/color between adjacent territories is a bit too large and takes away your focus from the rest of the map.
    Other than that I can't se anything that I wouldn't like.

I've been a little concerned about the contrasting colors. Are you just talking about the hills (brown/orange areas) or the forest as well? When I get done adding hills and vegetation on top of the hill background color, I think (hope) it will take the edge off. If not, I will definitely adjust that. I kind of like the deep green (forest) against the lighter green (grasslands) though. Do you think it's too much? I always intended to add trees (either texture or symbols) on top of the forest background but I haven't found anything I'm very excited about yet.

I probably should load it up on the other computer as well. I work almost exclusively on my notebook and forget that sometimes the colors are dulled due to power saver settings.
    ________
    vaaapp

I am talking mainly about the hills, the color of the forest seems nice, and the grasslands works, although still too much of a contrast for my taste(just a personal preference I think).

Not so keen on the "Forest of DOOOM" and "Mountains of BAAAAD" but hey, I've got some big piles of Gygaxian hangovers... so I'm partial to the odd "Cave of Sacrifices" and "Lair of the Red Dragon [insert consonants here]"
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Hehe.. most of the names are still placeholders. I wanted to see how the map would look with text so I just made up a bunch of names all at once. Over time, I'll see which ones stick. I originally named the hobbit area "Happy Valley" and it got renamed about an hour later. : )

In general, I do like to add in some "over the top" features though. I think it helps emphasize the fantasy aspect. Your comments are well received and appreciated though and I will definitely tone down some of the names.
    ________
    vaporizer affiliate program

I haven't been able to get excited about making the changes I know I need to make (do something about the orange areas and add the forest texture in).

Instead, I made a new border and compass rose, made some minor alterations, and started playing around with islands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	26927
    ________
    buy herbalaire
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-09-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12