Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Style WIP - Victorian

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Fantastic!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great, now I have map envy! Great job Rob!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Great, now I have map envy! Great job Rob!
    Indeed.

I think the best thing about this map is the sheer amount of detail and text you crammed in, and yet it's still completely neat and legible. Kudos!!

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I think the best thing about this map is the sheer amount of detail and text you crammed in, and yet it's still completely neat and legible. Kudos!!
    Ha, and here's me thinking that I'm actually holding back on adding detail. I guess I'm addicted to detail.

That's actually one of the goals of this project, is to try not to add so much. I got bogged down with Sorol because every map required hundreds of new names, and it was exhausting after a while. So I wanted this world to be 1) smaller (success! The total land area is quite a bit less than on Sorol) and 2) less detailed (jury's still out I guess!).

New question: Should I retain this map style for other maps in the series, or should I come up with variations depending on the character of the region being mapped? I think I'd like to retain certain elements of the style but alter others... although I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I, myself, would try to make the maps look like they had different authors so if you're doing one kingdom then alter the style slightly for another kingdom. Fonts and colors (or lack of colors) are the easiest way to alter things but also line weight, hatching or cross-hatching or shading, style and detail of the inset images, etc. You probably have this figured out but if not I just gave ya some ideas
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I guess it all depends on what the client wants, what the reasons are for the variations and whether the variations would take too much time.

The map is beautiful, btw.

That map is incredible! I have map envy too. >_>

BTW, I downloaded Bodoni for free from Urban Fonts.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

*Takes out Rep-Whiffle Bat and wails away at you*
    Nicely done dude...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I guess it all depends on what the client wants, what the reasons are for the variations and whether the variations would take too much time.
    Well the client is me, so I guess it depends on what I want.

I'm thinking that I'll retain the style of everything except the title text, which I'll vary from map to map. For example, the steampunk title style I used here would not be appropriate at all on the map of the Sabo Jungles, so I'll need to come up with a Darkest Africa-style title for that map. I like the other elements too much to use them on just one map, however.

This is really, really excellent. The names are just perfectly Britoid, and the style feels authentish. What did you use for the paper texture, I can see "postmark" there. Bodoni and Didot are excellent stereotypically 19th century fonts, and yes, Winkel isn't exactly the most 19th century of world map projections (but I myself used it for MINE anyway. Winkel II and Winkel triple are from the late 1910s/1920s so it's not that far-fetched )

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast