Thread: [WIP] Avegost

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Avegost

Hey Folks,

I've been lurking for quite some time. I own and run Avegost LARP which is a LARP in Georgia. I have high hopes for Avegost and in just one year we've grown to nearly a quarter of the size of other LARPs in the area which have enjoyed their successes for many years.

I have worked on the Avegost Map for a long time through D&D campaigns to other renditions of Avegost and have drastically changed things as I've gone. I'd like to share my progress with you over about 6 years. You can see where I found this site and how my art drastically improves.

The reason for doing this is that in my best version yet I am stuck. This is a world-based overland map and I've tried to do mountains and forests but never feel like they fit well enough. I'm looking for ideas and help. I've linked these maps from my own webserver instead of uploading them.

I know some of these look busy but it is mainly due to having all the layers on as a preview. I don't even have old editable versions of some of these maps.

Version 1.0 - Made with Paint.

Version 1.2 with Geography - Macromedia Fireworks

Version 1.3 with Cities - Macromedia Fireworks

Version 1.3 with national borders - Macromedia Fireworks (learned a lot here)

Version 2.0 with limited cities.

Version 3.0 with lots of stuff, lol. - Macromedia Fireworks

Version 3.2. - Macromedia Fireworks

Version 3.75 (repeating 5). - Macromedia Fireworks

Version 4.0 - Photoshop

Another view...

I'm a medieval history student and enthusiast and will be pursuing my Masters shortly. I learned a lot about realistic borders, rivers, and mountains from lurking on this website and it has been a lot of help.

Unfortunately I am STUCK!

I am stuck big time. On those last two images, which are images from the same alpha map with different styles, I am unsure of what mountains to do.

I like the mountains in the sepia tone one (good brushes, thanks guys!) but the mountains in the other one while they look cool they do not fit. I'm stumped.

So please I beg this wonderful community to shoot some ideas at me! I am not an artist and TBH have a hard time with inspiration artistically.

Also, I wouldn't mind some feedback on what I have so far!!!

Thanks guys,
    Joe Landolfi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.3.gif 
Views:	137 
Size:	395.2 KB 
ID:	26251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.0.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	895.3 KB 
ID:	26252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainsIdontlike.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	26253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainsIkindoflikebutdontalso.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	26254  
    Last edited by Alyais; 09-17-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: removed old images due to bandwidth