Thread: Any Encounter/Battlemap Tutorials?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well this is all rather new to me, so I think what I need is an example of how to get started so that I may experiment. For example, my group is currently running through a module provided in Dungeon magazine called "Haven of the Bitter Glass". At the next game session, there is a cavern area containing a fortress which is under siege. Several encounters occur here. However, the WotC map is not so great and I would like to recreate it for higher detail and to add dynamic objects the players can interact with. I believe I have correctly attached the file from the Map Gallery.

I am curious as to getting started. I thought of using an Alpha map to create the basic shape of the cavern interior and over hang. But all my attempts at making the background look good have turned out poorly. I am just getting comfortable with using patterns and the deeper mechanics of Photoshop, so when I use them the pattern looks tiled. I would like a more randomized stone look like the original image.

No one has to give me a step by step on how they would do it, but maybe a few friendly nudges to get me in the right direction?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fortress.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	26325