Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egracien

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd like to think that I'm finished here. Redid the forests and some colors, finished the labels and graphics. If it passes then I can start on the town maps.

Edit: Whoops, I see that all of the mtn labels got shifted to the left somehow so I have to put those back in the right place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4a.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	26880  
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-11-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is just amazing work, Ascension. Time for me to click that rep button...

The rivers -- it looks like there are lots of them -- are so hard to see! Even so, it's beautiful to look at. Your maps always are.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

The reason for the subtle rivers is that basically the world outside of this realm is largely unknown because most folks don't care about other people's country...and maps are, therefore, sketchy at best. Since the monsters have come and killed everything it's up to the adventurers to explore and fight back. You'll notice that the rivers in the plains area are easy to see because these farmers, and merchants, find it very vital whereas the rivers running through those dark and scary forests are hard to see. Maybe I overthink things sometimes, though Plus I forgot to put in one whole river system, which I did today.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Interesting concept, but not one that jumps out at the reader (looker?) right away. Perhaps something more obvious would work, like creating a frontier line ("Here be dragons"!) and doing the unexplored territory in a different color or saturation? Black and white (or almost)?
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Good idea, about the frontier. I'll look into that this evening.

A most excellent map! I really like the way you have worked the colors. I especially like the sunbursts for the towns.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbriell View Post
    . I especially like the sunbursts for the towns.
    I really like those, too! I was trying to do something like that with the magical portals on my Silver Moon Empire map, but I just couldn't make it look right on the lighter background.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷

The starbursts are just a star brush in PS on one layer and a dot on a second layer. I was thinking in terms of Points of Light so I took the idea literally.

Down in the lab again playin around. I was working on a parchment/hand-drawn style for use as a player hand-out thingy but after doing the outlines, woodcut, and paper I thought this looked pretty cool. While I was at, so I thought, why not add those rhumb lines we've been talking about? Lo and behold you can't line up the angled lines perfectly in PS (I'm anal about such things sometimes and I spent all day on it not to mention rotating a line does horrible things to the pixels so I spent a good deal of time fixing that) so I should do it in Illustrator. But, for me, I may as well just bang my head into a wall for it will do me about the same amount of good as trying to use Illustrator. At any rate, the 90 degree rhumbs line up perfectly and the 45 degree rhumbs are pretty close but the 22.5 degree rhumbs are way off so I took them out. I suppose I could draw each line with a path but there are so many lines that I get all discombobulated...so I'll pass on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4c.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	27198  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast