Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Egracien

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like that woodcut, made the whole thing pop.

This looks great, and apropos of the original map, I think "Sinister Juice" is my new favorite town name. I doubt anyone would notice some of the rhumb lines were missing -- unless, say, they had just wasted a perfectly good weekend researching rhumb lines.

Incidentally, I posted my tricolor grid as a .gif in that other thread so if you want to give it a try, there it is. I actually did most of it in Photoshop (on an enormous canvas, 26"x26" at 300 ppi), but I did use Illustrator's polar projection tool to create a template to keep the angles true.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've been on a Kool-Aid kick the past few weeks (trying cut down on Pepsi all day long) so when I walked into work with black cherry my mom and sis asked what I had and I said Sinister Juice...so I had to put in Sometimes things like that just pop into your head and I make a habit of writing them down so I don't forget them (much like my all time fave Cuttlestink on one of my earliest maps). I saw your rhumbs but the colors didn't match what I wanted, dark orange and dark teal with a hint of brown on everything. After spending all day trying to line them suckers up (a 2 pixel line has to be 2 pixels, and not 3 or 4, whether it's up, down, 45 degree angle, 22.5 degree angle, or 11.25 degree angle) I was at least going to get the colors how I wanted...which I failed on anyway cuz the orange is on top of the teal which is on top of the black. I'll probably do the hard way to satisfy my obsessiveness and it will give me something to do for a week.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think probably the way to go is to create a template with 16-point starbursts at each of the 17 "nodes", and then run single lines through the whole template until you've covered every angle. That way you're never trying to line up two lines that are supposed to be occupying the exact same space.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Another amazing map Ascension, but then who would expect anything less.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

So I've been toodling away on a hand-drawn version, I guess you would call it the player's version (even though I don't have any players to make it for I just like practicing). I'm adding Ramah's technique to my own thanks to his hills tut. It's taken me all week of hour here hour there to get the mtns, hills, and forests in...my setup here isn't all that comfy for drawing (great for gaming) so I have to twist around and sit sideways in my easy chair so my knees hurt after a while and my feet get numb and my hand cramps after all of those lil strokes. I still have the other terrains to put in but those should go much faster now that the hard part is done. Then, of course, come the towns n roads n other stuff. I'll be tweaking the ripped edges later but I just wanted something rough in for now. First time I tried doing a fir tree forest and I think it came out okay. Overall, the forests seem taller than the mtns but, eh, so be it...I think they look cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4c.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	27646  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234