It might help if you ask specific questions (i.e., "I'm stuck on this facet of my map. I think it's a problem and I can't figure out what it is"). I can't speak for the rest of the guild, but I often have a hard time doing anything but encouraging new folks for their first few maps, until I figure out their style and what they're trying to accomplish. The end goal is, after all, a map that you like and can be proud of. If I jump in and start tearing your work apart, you may get discouraged while I'm not actually helping you.

Also, keep in mind that this is a forum where we all come, in our own free time, to learn and help others learn. Sometimes a map doesn't get many comments; others grab people and get a ton. If you hang around, trust me, you will learn by osmosis, and you will have maps that folks get drawn to and comment upon.

Another good tactic is to pay it forward; make comments and suggestions on others' maps. I've learned a lot that way, seeing things I want to incorporate and avoid while I go through and apply the "do unto others" rule - usually while I await feedback on my own project.