Thread: Map Using Power Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I tried drawing in PowerPoint once long ago and hated the interface so much that I swore never to do it again. I'll do simple shapes there if I need them for a presentation, but I make anything more complex in Illustrator.

Take a look at Inkscape—it's open source vector drawing software. It's nowhere near as powerful as Illustrator (yet), but it's got all of the basics, and it can produce some very nice results. Be sure to go through all of the tutorials before you decide whether or not you like it.

What year will this map depict?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Thanks for the suggestion--I never heard of Inkscape. I'm trying to depict this town as it was in 1900-1914. It would be far less congested than it is today with more farmland and garden plots directly outside of the old walls. You would be amazed at some of the results I've obtained with PP when I was in the Army--especially floor plans. Seeing as how that was all we had available (besides Paint) I was pretty much forced to learn it well.

Guild Novice

I worked on this map some more--in PowerPoint. But I did download Gimp and Inkscape and I hope to play around and learn more about those programs in the future. I also created some simple houses in PP that can be plopped down on a decent texture and rearranged for a quick adventure. I can post an example if anyone is interested. You can see tiny examples in the upper right corner of this map.