Thread: The Stables WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sounds like you've had horses there Mid. You covered just about everything - well everything that I can think of - even that just about everything hangs on a peg or hook. The one thing about the barrel of oats - it's very common but it also attracts a lot of rats to it so maybe have a cat or two lurking around.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Brilliant! These are exactly the kinds of advice that I've come to know and love about CG.

Tilt - you were totally right about the 'foggy' dirt. I got caught over-using the cloud filter. Already addressed that, and now moving onto the rest of the goodies.

Midgardsormr - Thank you so much for such a comprehensive list. I think i can include just about all of that stuff. I do need to figure out how to slap hooks on the wall--I have been putting it off, as I assume it will be tricky from an overhead perspective. I make all these objects from scratch, and hooks are exactly the kind of tricky perspective problem that I get 'hung up on' so to speak (Aaaah, see what I did there?!) Anyhow, I'll probably remove that table on the left and replace it with a row of hooks. And yep, I am leaving the doors off the map for VTT reasons, and I plan to make little foldable stand-up paper doors for use with this (and the rest of this series) for people who will actually print it out. Now I'm considering making a plow/cart to park outside, as if I didn't already have enough to add.

Ascension - thanks for the extra info! I'm going to write a sample DM-description paragraph for each of these, and little details like rats and cats are exactly the kind of details that make descriptions pop--I'll be sure to include it.

Guild Novice

I must say this is one very well thought out and planned stable, I tip my hat to you for the research and detail your putting into this ever evolving design. I can't wait to see what the final result is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Sounds like you've had horses there Mid.
    Nope, but I read voraciously, and stableboys and blacksmiths are common fare. I've ridden a horse a time or two, but I have never spent all that much time around them or in stables.

Mounting blocks. This isn't a livery stable, but if it were, there would be a rack for barding and possibly a hoist to lift the armored knight onto his mount.

Glad I could help. If you want it, here's a quick-and-dirty hook object. This image is released to the public domain. It's not perfect—for one thing, the profiles of the bend and the end are different. You could possibly make one that is mounted slightly crooked, to make it more obvious what it is, although at the tiny scale you'll be using, it may not make much of a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metalHook.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	26598  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name