Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
who deserves more pay?
The better negotiator

rate is always difficult - I wouldn't say that size matters (no pun intended ) more the amount of hours going into the project. You can make a huge map in 2 hours if the detail levels are low and you can work for a week on a small map when the detail levels are high ... so its difficult to base your prices on size.
HOWEVER - in some respects size does matter - cause the customer might feel he's getting more value for his money in a big map, so it has a psycological effect.

So I'd take these things into concideration:

Size of the map
Quality of the map
Pixel or vector map
Shall the client obtain the original files as well (normally not)
Exclusiveness of the map (may you sell it to other later - say after a set date)
Is it fantasy or real world - are there many rules to uphold (scale, placement of stuff)
then there is how much time you use talking to the client (with most clients not a problem, with some clients -big problem)
how many edits will you do without charging more
and the ... how much could the client pay factor .. ie you sometimes charge less to a small client or to a client who wouldn't use the map commercially

And later on ... the "how big an artist are you" pricesetting. The bigger the pricier.
For example a good friend of mine sells his art (paintings) for way more than the hours he would bill at a "normal job" - a small one about 40x50 cm costs 30-40.000 DKK (about 7-8000 dollar), then he just doubles his prices as he goes up in size... but he's good www.lindeneg.dk

so - its a difficult decision to make and always a question of appraising the client/job/etc ... but good luck and congrats on the commision