Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linlandia using Gidde's Hand Dawn tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by hohum View Post
    Doh! I forgot the brightness and contrast suggestion. Here it is with the feature and Country label glows set to hard light and the town label glow set to overlay. The opacity of all the glow layers is the default 75%. Multiply makes the glow too dark for my tastes. In the future I will probably sub divide the text layers by font size as I think that is also part of the problem, striking a balance that is legible for all sizes.
    On my own map, I did each label by itself and added the ring around it on a separate layer so I could easily amend it if needed.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

Well here it is (I can't believe it has taken a whole month to do this). I will most likely redo the labels of the outside heraldry. I stubbornly stuck with my design even when it was clear it was going to be illegible. I believe I added in the suggestion of toning down the contrast on the text outer glow, but I'm not 100% sure any more. Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linland map and legend.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	27546  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The small text that is on top of other things like hills (Hills of Desolation) are kinda hard to read. I'd recommend making a duplicate layer of your paper, and using the selection tools, select the text, grow it a few pixels, then delete the stuff outside. That way you have your text on top of paper instead of ink lines. Looks nice, though, man...the tree and mtn symbols really fit the colors.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'd also suggest keeping the 'Southern Wastelands' label horizontal. It looks a bit odd as it is as there's no reason it should be at an angle as it's not tracking a long thin object (like the mountain labels), and all the other labels in that class are horizontal. No biggie though.

Blog Entries

Finished?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linland hand final.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	27576

@Ascension: Since the text labels were grouped by theme I selected by color, grew 1px and then deleted the ink underneath. As I said earlier, I would probably keep text of different sizes separate to be able to massage things to the appropriate size. As for the brushes, they are almost all Gidde. The towns are from starraven. And the Heraldry bits are from Juggernaut.

@ravells: Changed the Southern wastes to horizontal. At first I thought I might argue, but in looking at it there really wasn't any reason to have it angled. So I changed it. Thanks for the input.

If it is up to standards I will submit it as a Finished Map. Then I can go about improving my Finished Map to post ratio.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can read them much easier now, nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Okay, I couldn't leave it alone. Rhumb lines and compass added. Too much?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linland hand final1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	27582

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I don't think it's too much, I think the rhumb/compass look great. Thumbs up from me!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks awesome, dude. There's nothing I'd change.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

the lines work just fine. they add to the effect without distracting the eye at all.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast