Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2007 Entry: Superstition Valley

Wip A different compass rose idea...

I've got several compass roses in mind for this old west challenge.

Here's the one that's selling itself to me the most... definitely old west, not necessarily native american, but desert southwest for sure!

Long horn steer skull compass rose... WIP...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west-rose-1.gif 
Views:	569 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	1451  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I just found this forum, awesome! Love it.

I have an Old West map I did recently, here: http://gonewest.mysteryandmagic.com

I stuck with just browns, and a splash of red ink for the town names.

Cheated by stealing clipart for the town icons & cacti. Meh.

Welcome to the forums töff! However to submit a map for the challenge you'll need to start your own thread.

What? Too subtle? Hehehe
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Nice looking map!

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    I just found this forum, awesome! Love it.

I have an Old West map I did recently, here: http://gonewest.mysteryandmagic.com

I stuck with just browns, and a splash of red ink for the town names.

Cheated by stealing clipart for the town icons & cacti. Meh.
    Töff - nice map. Create some custom towns and cacti, and resubmit your map into this November challenge, give me a run for the money! I hope not to lose, but I also don't want to do this challenge alone!!

Welcome to the site, there's lots of help available, but it seems you do pro map work already! Show us more of your work (but as RP said, start a new thread!)
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Well that's not fair, to recycle an existing map, is it? Don't seem right, I'll have to pass, but maybe something will come up in a near future challenge that I can bite into.

[edit] Sorry, just realized, it might have looked like I was submitting my Gone West map to the challenge. That was not my intent.

Not at all töff, my intention was to get you to take on the challenge. You know you want to.

Oh, don't forget to go to the member introductions forum and post an intro thread so that you can be properly welcomed and then I can move the above posts over there and out of GP's wonderful challenge thread.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip Learning the lay of the land...

The main object created tonight is the Dos Diablos River and the attached canyon wall on the southern end and the cliffs near the center. All other objects in the image were from previous scans incorporated to get a feel of where I planned to locate things.

I plan on slightly different placement of mountains, but this is close to what I'm going for. The far west side will be heavily mountainous being the Sangra Madre Range. Mesa lands near the south and spotty across the valley plain.

Orion Hill will be just north or just south of the cliffs along the center area of the river, haven't decided which side of the river yet. I'm thinking the west bank is towards danger, so the town should be on the east bank. Of course, the Constellation Mine will probably be on the other bank into the mountainside.

I still have many plants to create and more ground cover, as well as a few more mountain modules I am sure. As far as buildings go, I'm pretty much done. I still have watercolor work to do, so I'm far from done.

I just wanted to get a general feel with how the final might look...

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superstition-valley.gif 
Views:	194 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	1481  
    DrivethruRPG store

This is seriously beautiful, GP, but the perspective of the mountains in the distance looks a bit off. Maybe make them a little smaller and lessen the opacity a tad? Not sure. I can't believe the mountains are modular. Great work!

Post This was just a rough draft...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This is seriously beautiful, GP, but the perspective of the mountains in the distance looks a bit off. Maybe make them a little smaller and lessen the opacity a tad? Not sure. I can't believe the mountains are modular. Great work!
    This was just a preliminary rough draft, rather than anything towards a final layout - the river is permanent, but that's about it in this last image.

Ravs, you do have a point though, perhaps I'll just make the outline edges of the horizon mountains and remove the surface texture of lines and shrink it down about 30%.

In a way, I don't want to be too accurate in the perspective, in that I don't want to create "dots" for elements that are too far away to discern. No doubt most of the mapping detail will be in the top third down, as anything north of the top third will just be too small to view.

I also thought about placing a tiny city on the horizon with a label like Tucson 200 miles north or something like that...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-10-2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: misspelling
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast