Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cartographers' Guild Presents Our First Gallery Show!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

So far so good. Two prospective sales so far and some nice feedback from the visitors. Now it's a matter of getting word out. It would be fun to get featured by Slashdot - so if anyone feels so inclined please submit the story to slashdot. The important details are
    What: First ever digital exhibit of fantasy maps from best selling roleplaying games organised by the largest fantasy mapmaking community in the world.
    Where: Soho Gallery for Digital Art, 138 Sullivan Street, Soho, NY
    When: until the 29th of July
    Also: Drinks reception and launch - Wednesdy the 21st of July, 6-9pm

40 artists, 90 maps, images on display are offered for sale through the run of the show as limited edition high quality prints.

And since you asked, here's the list of all those with work in the show!
    Aerius, Djekspek, MysticMagellan, Ruedy, a2area, Anna, Gamerprinter, Naeddyr, Sapiento, armoredGear7, Ascension, Ghalev, Pasis, Schley, cmnmd, Auth, Gidde, Ramah, SteelGeneral, misteradam, Bohunk, HandsomeRob, Ravells, Tear, mmmmmpig, Clercon, Heruca, RedRobes, TheRedEpic, Coyotemax, Immolate, Redstar, Tintagel, Crooty, Katerek, RobA, Toff, DevinNight, Mearrin69, Torstan, Wag
    Last edited by torstan; 07-19-2010 at 10:34 AM.

That is great stuff!
    Something witty and pithy

Given what a big honor this is for the selected cartographers, I think there should be a new forum badge to go along with it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wow. I'm honored to be in included in that group of awesome cartographers!

Oh, and, I second the forum badge idea (for purely selfish reasons!)
    M

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Aerius, Djekspek, MysticMagellan, Ruedy, a2area, Anna, Gamerprinter, Naedyrr, Sapiento, armoredGear7, Ascension, Ghalev, Pasis, Schley, cmnmd, Auth, Gidde, Ramah, SteelGeneral, misteradam, Bohunk, HandsomeRob, Ravells, Tear, mmmmmpig, Clercon, Heruca, RedRobes, TheRedEpic, Coyotemax, Immolate, Redstar, Tintagel, Crooty, Katerek, RobA, Toff, DevinNight, Mearrin69, Torstan, Wag
    Aaugh, I wished you'd had caught that.

I hope you used my real name, it's easier to spell.

---
    Kristian Järventaus

PS: Also god, to modify blurbs to that extent is just gah. It really becomes pointless to give any sort of blurb at all if *that* happens to them. One of my answers was about the kinds of worlds David Eddings used to have in his rubber-stamp series, and how that acted as a sort of anti-model for me later, but I bet it'll turn into a "David Eddings... is a... genius of... world building." Doesn't help that the original ran for twenty pages.

Otherwise I am very excited and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

It would be really neat to have photographic evidence that I am actually there.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 07-19-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good to see that your still kickin about Nae.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, I just haven't made any maps in ages. I fleet from one project to another, like an alcoholic bumble-bee. When I get the hankering for some more mapping I'll appear once again.

Kristian - I have used your real name for the show. However when listing artists here it's pointless to put up real names as few of us know them. Also, people don't want their real names plastered all over the internet most of the time. Trust me - that spelling error is only in my directory listing on my laptop. Only those who explicitly asked for their forum nick to be used instead have that on the screens instead of their real names.

As for the quotes - that was one isolated incident. Quotes always have to be cropped as there is limited space to display any quote. In this case it had the effect of changing the sense. As soon as Redrobes highlighted the error it was fixed. No one is out to get you, and I am very grateful for all the answers that were given on short notice. It's certainly useful.

In future, if someone has a concern about how they've been represented then please contact me directly. I will get that quicker and I can change it.

Blog Entries

Sorry Torstan - my bad. It sort of got a life of its own after I posted it. Glad you were able to fix it up. Thanks and well done for everything.

Just to be clear, were all fellin more akin to Naeddyr's mood...
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-19-2010 at 10:51 AM.

No worries. I remember talking to the local paper back home about the LHC when I was a graduate student and how I was working on making some predictions for it. It was pretty innocuous stuff but it was around the time that it was turning on so it seemed like a nice local angle on an international story. They ran my quote, but they prefaced it with 'Jonathan Roberts, a key member of the team running the LHC, says ...' I wanted the earth to swallow me. If even one experimentalist had seen that then my name would have been mud. No chance I'd have been able to tell them that I'd said nothing of the sort to the paper. So yes, I entirely understand all the nerves that come from being asked to provide quotes and then worrying about what's been done with your words. I'm very careful with them (especially so now!).

And yes, it's really exciting. The reception to the show has been great, and with the launch this week it should create a lot of buzz. I've got loads more photos (including Ysi Earth!) and I'll get them up. I plan to have photos of every map up on a wall so that everyone has a photo to take away.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast