Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Entry: the Menhir Dance of the Ui'iliad

That's really really nice, GP! Looks like you've just hit on an awesome new technique.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that look really good - love that style ... however, some of the back shadows are a little long in comparison to the front ones
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Edit: I think I accidentally cut off that one shadow, strange - so that one is off, Tilt. I will "lengthen" that one shadow to partially cover the stone behind it (shadow direction behind), then that should fix it.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-10-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

looking good, looking good!
    Something witty and pithy

Wow, that looks fantastic! I really like it. Reminds me of those dorling kindersley type illustrations or something you'd see in a museum next to the exhibit showing an aritists impression of the object in it's place and time.

Thanks, RecklessEnthusiasum, Ravs, SG! Yeah, this isometric style reminds me of those artists you see on History channel and some archaeological digs - which inspires to try these kinds of map. That's what I think of anyway, as I create them.

@Tilt, I double checked, the shadow is correct. Since the backside slope of the hill is fairly steep, the angle of the sun misses the backside completely. The seemingly taller back menhir stone shadows skip the backside of the hill entirely landing on the ground floor below and part of the shadow on the level surface top. So the front and back shadows are technically the same length, the expanse of the backside of the hill from the sun's angle creates the illusion of greater length. So there's nothing to fix, the shadow lengths are correct.

OK, here's a preliminary layout of the planned overall map. The space in the text in the lower right hand corner, for the time being I'm planning on creating a Celtic warrior to place there, but am thinking it might be better to place a druid there (perhaps both). There won't be much room for Celtic knotwork, as detail illustration is what the style seems to call for, so I will continue this as an isometric illustration.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-map.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	26862  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-10-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

the isometric stuff is a great style... seems a bit laborious, but well worth it. Well done
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd just go with the druid - it seems more fitting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

As it is all those shadows look sharp. The far ends of them could enjoy a bit of blurring

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast