Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Entry: the Menhir Dance of the Ui'iliad

Blog Entries

You're on to something here GP.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Default Very close, if not already done!

I struggling to come up with more ideas. I think this might be it.

I don't want to place any vegetation, beyond the short grass that exists in order to minimize shadow casting objects for the purposes of "reading the stone circle" as in reading the shadows for the time of year.

I might place a compass rose at top center, that might be it.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-dance.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	836.2 KB 
ID:	26916  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I absolutely love this GP. Some of your best work yet.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed; this is fantastic.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks great, GP! You gave the picture a great deal of live and dimension.
    I hope I can somehow find the time to join this month's challenge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good GP, and I'm glad you checked the shadows ... but I think, the height diffence taking into account, perhaps the shadows hitting th low ground should perhaps be lighter/close to non-existence ... Sorry but I love shadows
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

there seems to be a pretty large amount of empty space on the map (it is not informationally dense) THe style of the map looks a bit like one would see at a historic park or some such place, just stylized. I think you have an opportunity to have some expository paragraphs about the points of interest labeled on the detailed portion of the map.

Otherwise I feel that the balance of the piece is very left side heavy. The elements on the left definitely feel heavier than the detailed scene on the right. Of course you are probably not near complete and I am jumping the gun on the crit.

great style as usual. I love that you are capable of doing so many different styles
    Something witty and pithy

Default I see it as a trinity of illustrations

I see this project as a trinity of illustrations - the overview map, the background story legend and the isometric map. While I agree the isometric map side is stark, I think it is proper. I don't want to unnecessarily decorate the map as I don't think it needs anything else. I placed in more titling and descriptive text in the isometric map. I added one tiny (too tiny) druid by the enclave.

I have a simplified compass rose on the right side of the isometric. Rather than place a scale bar, the descriptive text indicates that the circular path around the Menhir circle hill is 240 feet across - that's scale enough.

Last thing, there were 17 Celtic runestones, I cut that down to 15 to better match the mathematical consideration I made in the first post regarding the threes (trinity) which is so important to Celts. 3 is a magic number so any derivative of 3 is also mystical. 3 x 3 x 3 or 27 is very powerful Celtic number - there are 12 menhir stones, there are 15 runestones - totalling 27 stones in all.

I don't want to lessen the detail of the left, or increase the detail of the right. Leftside graphics heavy maybe, and balance is a part of most of my maps - call this assymetrical balance and call it done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-dance-final.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	898.1 KB 
ID:	26943  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-12-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Most improvements to my mapping occurs in small steps, but every once in a while I get a epiphany for something more, and I think the new applied technique is once such epiphany.

@Tilt - I did try to tweak the shadows to be more faint/non-existent, perhaps not perfect, but I think its better.

Thanks for the comments everyone - I think this is indeed some better work of mine.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love'em
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast