Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Entry: the Menhir Dance of the Ui'iliad

Nice map, GP! Beautifully laid out. You're soooo close to the "golden ratio" proportions that I almost wish it were spot on. Other than that inexplicable criticism, I am really, really impressed with your map and this new style you've hit upon.

Blog Entries

Two things GP. First, the field of text has a misplaced feel to me. Perhaps I'm just imprinted on your prior map, but the new text looks busy.

Thing two: your druid looks about nine feet tall. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I'm not sold on the field text either. I'm thinking of redoing a miniature druids, bards and dancers at appropriate height - which means shapes really, can't do facial detail, but it might bring some balance to the detail map without text. Perhaps a scale bar, and also perhaps combining some of the legend information with the field text for better use of text section.

I didn't scream, "Done!" yet - so, close, but not yet.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Done!

Well, I'm calling this map entry complete (unless there are any glaring errors)...

I pulled the field text out, moved the information into the text legend in the lower left corner. But there was that empty spot at top center of map - so I placed a subtle animal figurine etched into the ground by some ancient people.

And just for fun and to fix the 9 foot tall druid, I decided to try the impossible. Draw a procession of druids, bards, a boy carrying a sheep for slaughter, an ox pulled cart of harvested goods with driver, and couple of dancers. There are three druids in each of three orders of the faith - white, gold and blue. If they look like scribbles, 5 foot tall was 1/4 inch, so I created figures mostly slightly bigger than 1/4 inch tall, the boy is about 5 foot tall... that was a challenge.

Sorry for the "golden ratio" fans, I like the stark look in the main map - its contrast to the left side is the point of its balance.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-final.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	866.1 KB 
ID:	26955  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-13-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Looks like a good stopping point to me.

Admit it, GP: you just pushing to see how many golden compasses the site can fit under your name...

Blog Entries

Both the animal and procession are a net positive to the piece GP. I didn't think you could improve on it but you did.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Just to be a nit-picky, it looks like the little procession you added don't have shadows. No big deal really.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I did create shadows for them, for some reason it didn't show up. I'll resave, then reupload - but no changes, otherwise - sharp eye SG.

@ RecklessEnthusiasm - I like to experiment with maps, and the challenge actually compels me to finish, so I enjoy challenges for the exercise, not for wins. Really.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

adding the people helped greatly, I think. looks good! Damn you are fast
    Something witty and pithy

Default Shadows on procession

Now I'm done, unless the shadows didn't show up again, because they are there as before??

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	867.1 KB 
ID:	26965  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast