Thread: Caliburn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I did use that automatic forester program... It was easier but seems to take away from the final result. I think I'll redo it by hand, it will take a lot of time but it seems like a thing worth doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GygaxLives View Post
    I did use that automatic forester program... It was easier but seems to take away from the final result. I think I'll redo it by hand, it will take a lot of time but it seems like a thing worth doing.
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Wow... you weren't kidding. This looks much better!

Thanks again, Ramah!