Thread: Ereshka world map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing this develop; you're a glutton for punishment, tackling an entire world. Something I'm not courageous enough to attempt just yet...

I got the basic continents done (at least to the point where the poles stopped being really annoying in Google Earth; making a flat map work as a globe is harder than I thought!). Here they are.

The husband says our starting kingdom is about the size of France, so I got a map of said country and made a France-shaped blob on the map in the correct location. I figure that will help me work out the distances and the actual size of this world. The black lines are where I think the "pole" areas are going to be; we'll see how that goes once the climate is worked out.

This map was an interesting learning curve. It started on the laptop, in GIMP... and then the laptop decided to freak out and BSOD me several times, leading to backing up my files, doing a factory reset, and digging out my desktop for the meantime. My desktop didn't have GIMP, but did have Photoshop 6, so I figured, what the heck, let's haul that old thing out... let's just say I'm now very aware of how used I'd gotten to GIMP

I think I'll keep doing it on this comp, though I don't know if I'll download GIMP or keep with PS; the laptop, aside from the BSOD issue, has a broken screen at the moment. It's still usable, just... it's a little difficult to do graphics when there's runny lines on the screen.

Next, I guess I have to make my coastlines Not Suck... let's see if I can do this without running back to the tutorials
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ereshka contbase.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	26872  
    "Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication and many accomplishments, owes the fact of his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains." --Unknown