also depends on how many rules the GM wishes to incorporate.
sometimes in the past when i ran AD&D games I wouldn't let the players see the overland map, instead They mapped as they traveled while I marked on my map their real location. I'd described the terrain ect as they traveled.
if a players mv was 60'/round (1 round =1min (1-2nd ed)) that is aprox 11miles/16hour travel day on foot. normal maps back then were 10miles/hex so round down to 10 miles 16 hour travel time for setting up camp ect.

this method allows for some great survival sessions. keeping the full real land map from them you can roll a check / day if they go off coarse. you then roll which direction they went off in (percentiles vary per terrains type) you mark on the GM/DM map where they really are(if they are off coarse already then pass a "Lost check" then you can describe that they notice by sun direction or whatever means that they have fallen off coarse.

most settings also have a random wilderness encounter check /per day or whatever depending on the terrain type. if an encounter occurs then they you can have then meet anything from bandits on the road to a wandering dragon.(in those cases I would pull out various battlemaps that match different terrain types to handle the encounter).

this also allows you to require rations and such each day they will use a one day ration from the players supplies.

it is easier than it sounds and can be a lot of fun when getting there is part of the adventure.