I too am still playing 2nd Edition. The way my DM makes maps is by creating a **very** rough sketch, and then letting a player (which means me) do the hard work. And I sometimes make maps just for the fun of it, which either may or may not be of any use in our campaign. It usually doesn't really matter how a city looks, apart from a few landmarks. In any city, there are places where a DM can spawn his evil plans. Our maps also get more details over time, as the campaign progresses and the DM (or on of the players) thinks up new things.

If you use battlemaps (well, anyting more advanced than the sheet of paper with some scribbles on it that we usually have), you could try out some of the tile sets made by WotC (or old TSR products), or others. Maps aren't bound to any rules system.

Another option is to just get some maps off the internet and use those (I can't imagine anyone would object as long as you keep it in your group). If you want to draw them yourself in any rapid manner, lower your expectations. Quality takes time in any business.