Thread: Underground cavern/pool

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the praise, both of you.

Ascension - the thin black lines are layer strokes, which makes removing a chunk problematic unless I flatten the layer, which I'd rather not do. However, it's actually not that big a deal, as the top "edge" will be obscured by a layer above it - the "rock steps" descend from a hallway with a worked stone floor). I've included a very rough shot of where the stone floor will be - though I spent all of 15 seconds on it.

Wannabeahero - yeah, I realize the tunnel walls (especially all the straight ones dominating the right side of the map) aren't very realistic. This is basically a test piece, where I figure out how to do the blending/shading/patterns/etc. for the walls, water, island, and so on. I decided that, since it's not the final map, I wasn't going to waste time on detailed drawings in this one. I tried changing the blend mode on the stroke around the island, let me know what you think. The pattern is called "mudgrass" and I got it from Ascension's Town Mapping tutorial. The wall edges are just a brown inner glow, set to Color Burn.

Lastly, I've included another room from the same, larger map. Basically the concept is a ruined room - the old, stone floor is semi-intact with a dirt-filled pit about 10 feet or so below it. Mostly I'm concerned about the NW corner of the chamber, where the entire upper ceiling caved in, leaving it covered in rubble. I actually adapted Ascension's trees tutorial, using a different texture and color, as well as larger brush strokes, to try and simulate piles of rocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tunnel-steps.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	27280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tunnel-island.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	27281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubble.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	27282