Thread: Variable Typemasking in Illustrator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi HRob, I'm a bit thick so it's hard to see what the effect is without a 'before' and 'after'....any chance we could have one please? I looked at the Barlovia map and couldn't see any text outlined in black either...

I guess the key to it all is the opacity mask ... as I use Drawplus I don't know what the equivalent is, but drawplus allows you to lower the opacity of the fill or stroke of any object by using a slider...is that what an opacity mask is? Drawplus also has the usual blend modes, one is called 'erase' which effectively acts as a layer mask making anything under it on that layer transparent. Is it that one?

:: Is this the sort of thing you mean?: The orange rectangle is on the bottom layer. The spiral is on the layer above it and the text (with the fill set to erase blend mode) on top of the spiral.

:: Edit...that's odd, you should be able to see the orange of the square through the text that's over it (you can in the program) but the exported jpeg knocks out the orange as well....time to write to serif! I've done a screenshot of what the type mask looks like on screen before export.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	type mask.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	27340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	type mask1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	27341