Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July Entry: Dimensional Nexus

Yes the gimp. I originally created the rockmass in Vue but it didn't work out so I had to go back and draw that by hand. I then did the rest of it by hand in portions and pieced them into the picture. I'm not sure what you mean by "drawing and textures are swallowed up in a big blur" though. The ocean was created using filters in Gimp and then a slight up/down motion blur and then touched up with sprays of white paint and hand stroked. I'm still using a mouse so I'm sure it's not the best my hands can do

I'm interested to know what you mean though because there is always room for improvement, are the ocean colors too strong or are the details just not crisp enough in your opinion or is it something else?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Just added a title

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankhor Rock Wship.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	27478  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Felwynn's Avatar

I'm interested to know what you mean though because there is always room for improvement, are the ocean colors too strong or are the details just not crisp enough in your opinion or is it something else?
    Well, the brushes you used... how can I say it? They "hide" your drawing, because they look like a bad finger-tool effect. You basic drawing is not detailed enough, and your painting blurs what few details you drew along.

(Sorry if you dun understand this time, it means that the frogs definitely can't speak english a good way...)

Hmmm, ok, I guess I get not enough details and I think some of the problem may be resulting from having stretched the image a bit to give it more height. Next time I will spend more time thinking about the point of view and how that will pan out in the final. As for the bottom portion I was attempting to create the look of seeing that through water. In any event, I evidently failed to "sell it" to you at the very least, which just means it's back to the drawing board.

I did clean up a bit of pixels (mainly on the top floor) and since it looks like it's still able to be updated I will just do that now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ankhor Rock Wship.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	27610  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main thing is, and I'm guilty of this all the time myself, that we forget that things look better when we shrink them down so we should work bigger and post smaller. The thumb looks awesome and even the partial zoom fit-to-screen image looks good but when you see it at 100% it looks like a Van Gogh...all the brush strokes and blurriness and whatnot. If it were me, I'd post a smaller image so that we can't see the problems and mistakes and then everyone thinks you're a genius. Maybe I should do that, too. But you get an A for effort and originality.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for commiserating with me on that Ascension. I really should shrink it because it does look better small verses all zoomed in. I'm not sure how to do this but I'll see what I can do.
    edit: Ok, that seems pretty easy to do. I just dropped it down a bit to see if that improves it any or not. At least I'm having fun experimenting I guess it would behoove one to just start big and reduce if needed and never attempt to enlarge something. I could reduce the scale even further if it needs it and this actually helps the situation.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ankhor Rock RDC.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	27611  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-31-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12