Thanks all for the feedback. Gidde you're so right, that yellow is the bane of the map, ive just haven't figured out a suitable colour to replace it, that comes in harmony with the others. Will try out another hue for the seas/lakes too. The map was done yesterday, after doing some reading about making heightmaps and shaded relief (kinda) in Photoshop, so i said 'lets try it out'. Using an overlay gradient for colourmap, so everything is editable yes.

Thing is, what i have in mind is making a rather accurate map for a generic 'world' i can flesh out later (im a RPG fun more in worlds than for real , so i can give it a lot of consistent detail and depth. Besides, my (not so realistical yet) plan is to also make a 3D version of it, to get a better feeling out of it and for future possible developements. The best solution i guess would be to get working on the first map's layout (continent size) and go both routes, a high detailed topo map (like the second one, only bigger - more detail), and on top of it, a 'historical', player's sepia old style map to match it, but more atmospheric...

Sorry bout my rude manners, haven't introduced myself. I am Radu from Bucharest, Romania. M.Phil. here (graduated in philosophy ), and also 2 years in the foreign languages - chinese University (old passion for chinese philosophy). For like 6 years now im making a living as a graphic designer, mostly printed media (flyers, booklets, advertising in general), hence my addiction with Photoshop. Hope to really get some ropes on drawing maps and making supporting stuff for fantasy in general. Cheers.