Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Valley

Thnx.

@Ramah - The bubbling is caused because my light source is at the bottom right instead of the top left that is default and that which many people seem to use, to me it looks fine but it may look off if you're use to seeing the default version. It is Pasis' texture I'm using, it was the only one that was seemless enough to be used, I will try and make a colder looking rock type as yes the current rock does look rather warm and the area is supposed to be in the middle of the mountains.

More work to come soon.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just use a brownish green color overlay to alleviate the orangeness (play with blend). Or, if you're of a mind to, new layer and hand paint the colors on top (play with blend).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, the mountains are a little less warm and I've put down the road map plan. Bright red rings and lines are noteworthy settlements and major roads, the one with the star is the capital, dark red rings and lines are settlements of little significance and minor roads, white rings are forts and the black marks with x's on them are ruins. Ignore the numbers and other marks, they're there for future planning.

More to come soon when I come up with a better settlement pattern.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Valley.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	27909  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Looking good! I like the colors. I keep getting that weird optical illusion that the rivers are extending above the land for some reason...I'm sure there's a way to make that go away but I don't know what it would be.
    M

I see that you're doing the bridges different than the roads - is the intention to do them realistic (they almost look like stone)? If so then you'll want to do the roads realistic as well. On a side note the stone bridges don't match the stone mtns in color.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

That's just the road plan, my ending roads will not be red. I am trying to make the bridges the same stone as the mountains, except for a few wooden ones. On the subject of realism, should I make my settlements look realistic or just have symbols?

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    On the subject of realism, should I make my settlements look realistic or just have symbols?
    I'd say depends on the scale...this is turning out quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If ya got real bridges then ya should have real towns. I'd say just make some lines and don't kill yourself with all the realism...saves time, too. Also the scale gets thrown out of whack when trying to do that much realism, if 1 pixel = a hundred yards then a 2 pixel wide bridge is huge. Looking at the rivers and seeing that the biggest are around 5 pixels wide I assume that they are at most 2 miles wide or 500 yards at the least. So scale will determine how much realism to go with.

For reference, my scale is 1 mile = 80 pics, if things seem oversized then I'll sya they been exaggerated for asthetic purposes.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, sinse the scale is too small for the settlements to show up properly I've decided just to do symbols instead. The symbols were inspired by Tilt and are very simple, extra symbols will be put under the settlement name, denoting such things as settlement size, major industries, clan allegiance and other notable features. I've also thrown down the farms and roads. I'm going to play around with the farms to make them look more like rice paddies, if I can ever find out how. I'm throwing down a lot more symbols, there is a lot of empty space out there.

More to come soon.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Valley.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	27935  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast