Thread: Haibianr - docks area WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay, fixed the ships a bit. Couldn't really rotate the sails as suggested without redrawing from scratch because I've already flattened those layers (silly, I know, but I thought they were done!). I did, however, go back in and put the "yards" on top of the sails. Probably could use some more suggestion of rope and such in there but I don't really know where to put it and, at this scale, it might not be that important.

I also added some posts and their shadows to the docks. It makes the whole thing look better...but the docks look even more repetitive. So, I've tried my hand at replacing one of the docks with some sort of stone pier thingie...Chinese style, complete with little tiled roofs on the pillars. I frankly can't find a lot of reference photos/drawings of older style docks. The oldest I can find is a bunch of stuff from Industrial Revolution England...usually featuring some sort of tramway. I did find a ref for a manual cargo loading crane, however, which is very cool.

There are a couple of other, misc. items upgraded in this version. Note that there's some overlap on shadows on the water that won't be in the final.
    M

Edit: I was thinking there weren't many significant changes since my last post but I opened both images in new tabs and switched back and forth a few times. Wow. It's kind of amazing what little changes will do for a map's quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Docks.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	27873  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 08-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.