Thread: The Town of Koppollex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow!

First let me say this has a very photorealistic look - almost like a picture of a model. Since you want critique, I'll give critique and this is all IMOO...

(As you are constantly raising the bar, these are getting picky, I'll admit)

-Overall the image is dark. This could be the old laptop I am using, however.
    -The roads look a bit too soft focussed (but that could be the intent if representing dirt).
    -Not too sure about the horizontal banding on all the roofs.
    -Most trees are much taller than single level dewllings. Their drop shadows should be more displaced.

um. Thats about it from me! SO how long does it take (as speed was one of your intents)?

-Rob A>

Very, very nice. Particularly if done at speed. (I too would like to know what 'at speed' means in real numbers!). I was trying to do much the same thing but by importing the program into a vector drawing package, but it had problems reading the roads as part of the buildings and then something shiney distracted me away.

Here are my thoughts / suggestions:

1. The map is dark (it's not your laptop, Rob) but I think that works if you want a really broody, menacing atmosphere. In these colours this is a town I wouldn't want to visit. It has the sickly scent of death about it.

2. I would love to know how you got that hint of gableling on the rooftops. I'm not mad on the bands either, I think that's because they are all oriented horizontally even though the buildings themselves are oriented in different positions, so it looks too much like a fill.

3. The River looks almost handpainted - how did you do that?

4. I'm not overly keen on the vegetation - it looks just a bit too photoshopped for me (but still v.beautiful), however I expect that people who don't spend their days playing with heightmaps etc would say - 'wow that's really cool!' I wonder what it would look like if you tried a more spherical texture for the trees rather than the crumply one you currently have?

Beautifully done, Don!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ...and then something shiney ...

LOOK - a distraction!

-Rob A>

This map is great looking as it is!!!

The things that I think could be improved are pretty much what the others said...

1. A little lighter in color.

2. The patterns on the roof don't quite look right.

I love the river though, one of the nicest that I have seen, and the elevations look good.