Ravells.
Thought that I would add my two cents worth since it seems that no one else is willing.

I think that the post is spot on. And I think that each of the "Principles" warrants its own thread and discussion, for those so inclined.

But, might I offer a thought as to why no one has responded before now? I think that the "Five Principles" are a high-level philosophy governing map making--and they are absolutely correct, as far as my limited brain can fathom when thinking about it. Because, however, most of us are struggling cartographers still learning our craft (and always trying to learn more, with different techniques, using new software, and trying to emulate "that cool map that was posted last night"), we aren't yet ready for a philosophy of map making. We are still at Maslow's survival level of mapmaking vice the self-actualization at top of his pyramid. Put another way, we are still learning how to feed ourselves with the spoon, vice asking ourselves if the spoon is really there.

With all that being said, I am more than ready to engage in a discussion of any of those principles.

Again, great post. Philosophy of anything is interesting.