Hah LOL, I wouldn't hold your breath ! Monks and I work on the Me-Dem project and all of those tools like GeoTerSys are command line based and hung together with ImageMaghick, Perl and GnuMake. Its a brilliant system, rock solid with total control - but I am forever being told that I need to do a GUI... I was really pleased when I saw it was command line

At mo I am writing a program for a customer and I am using the navteq GIS data. They have Paris and Chicago as their two demo bits of the world which is free to download except you have to agree on a click through not to use it for anything but testing. So with this data set thats really cool to use as back drops for the map visualization as I have been using google to keep checking the data. The problem with google is that tho they have the lat long in the link which you can get at its still a bit approximate. This might be able to give a set lat long box of image which is properly aligned without fussing with the links and guessing the corners.