Thread: Viewingdale to Maptools: Scaling conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Get a real ruler or tape measure and hold up to the visible pixel area on the monitor and put in the width and height into the system settings bit. If you go to the website and download the extra art of the paper sizes...
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...gory=dnld_misc
    install them, load up a sheet of A5 and then use F3 set scale and set it to 1. Then on screen should be your sheet of A5 paper at 1:1 scale. Hold up a piece of A5 paper or A4 folded in half and check the size. It should match. See end of this movie and pic below.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD_Demo2/Movie5.avi

Now when you export the image. It will export the image to the edge of the visible window so if you need to crop it to the grid in Gimp then ensure that the grid is on with 'G' button and then export the screen view and use the Gimp crop tool. However, I think its better that you export without the grid on and use MapTools align to grid function where you set the grid offset and scale thing. Again I am no MapTool expert but I believe that it has some dynamic grid align thing.

If you need to align to the grid in ViewingDale so that you import an image of a battle map with a grid on it then import the image as normal and use the F7 key to set the center point. Put that down on one intersection of the grid and use F8, icon size, to adjust it so that it lines up with the grid. Then when you go to F5 - normal view and hit the G key and set the grid size to whatever its supposed to be it should come up aligned on top of the battle map. If you want me to make a vid of this then attach a map you have to your post and ill show you.

Okay. I cant quite get it accurate, seeing as the measurement settings for screen width and height don't do decimals, but i've gotten it to where the offset is at least relatively small (my moniters height measures out to 255.77mm) and if the offset becomes serious, i'll just have to take it into gimp and adjust it until it does fit. However, one other problem I've come across is the fact that viewingdale layers things relative to the size of the object. A smaller object always overlays one which is larger. Is there a way to manually adjust the order things are layered on the map, so i can have (for instance) my corner keeps tower actually appear over the corner keep, without having to resize the cobble tile to ridiculous proportions?