Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just discovered this thread - wow this looks awesome (bothe TreeThings and HillThing) I will be playing with these in a little while. Thanks for sharing your time and talent.

Guild Novice

Hi, Ramah.

I`ve been using TreeThing for quite some time, and would like to make some additions to the source code. Namely, I`d like to add an option to have TreeThing change the poarsity of plotted elements according to the PNG mask's transparency, and I`d also like to add an option to the brush rescaling which would allow the app to be used for Mountains as well as trees more seamlessly.

Could I interest you in putting TreeThing in a GIThub, or in sharing the source code with the community?

Thanks,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by D1060 View Post
    Hi, Ramah.

I`ve been using TreeThing for quite some time, and would like to make some additions to the source code. Namely, I`d like to add an option to have TreeThing change the poarsity of plotted elements according to the PNG mask's transparency, and I`d also like to add an option to the brush rescaling which would allow the app to be used for Mountains as well as trees more seamlessly.

Could I interest you in putting TreeThing in a GIThub, or in sharing the source code with the community?

Thanks,

D.
    I'd like to second this. Ideally HillThing, TreeThing, etc. should all be shared. After all, we are supposed to be a "community" right? :-)

Caveat: I wrote a paper called "The Success of Openness" about open-source development when I was an instructor at the University of Michigan, and am an open-source advocate.

Guild Apprentice

As the original developer of TreeThing, I agree.
    Making it open source allows for others to add new features, improve already existing features, and clean up the code.

As someone who is artistically challenged, I'm very interested in trying this out (I wasn't aware of it before now.) Does anyone know if it'll run under Linux? I believe from the other comments that it only needs Java RTE so I assume it's OS-agnostic and therefore should work on my Ubuntu box. I'll try it later tonight if I get the chance, but wondered if anyone had firsthand knowledge.

To answer my own question, and for the benefit of other Ubuntu users, this works well on Ubuntu 14.04 with the default Java RTE from the repos. I'm quite excited by what it can do and can't wait to play around some more.

Only minor issue I had, and this might be me being blind/dumb, but when I try to save all layers (via the File | Save All Layers menu option), nothing happens. It acts like it's saving, and there's no error message, but no file is created. It's not that big of a deal because I can export each layer individually and combine them in Gimp, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something or if it's an Ubuntu issue. Either way, it's no biggie.

Thanks Ramah for creating this. You're the man!!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Really cool program. I'll have to try to get the hang of this sometime.

Thank you for sharing. This is a really useful tool. If only there were also one for mountains :-)

Hi all -I was trying to find a download link for HillThing (TreeThing is _amazing!_) but I'm not having any luck. Is it a separate application or is the functionality part of TreeThing? In advance, thanks!

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast