Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

lol! If you can code the tree thing and call yourself a novice, I don't know what that makes me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Or perhaps the Honourable Contributor badge - they certainly qualify for something!

TreeThing is awesome and totally deserving of a badge! I've rated the thread, but apparently I need to spread more rep around... I have a new map waiting to be tackled, and I'm looking forward to using TreeThing on it. Good work, and thank you so much for sharing!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

One thing I suggest is a view port zoom. Currently,, when you scale up/down, it seems to come from the upper left corner. It would be nice to have the zoom stay focused on the currently visible area in the screen centerpoint as much as possible.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Nice one Ramah.

On the SVG thing, its just text. If you get someone like Ravs to knock up some SVG trees then you can look at the code lines. For example take this one:
    http://www.openclipart.org/people/rg...imple_tree.svg
    If you do a view source in the browser you can see that someone did this one in inkscape. So just suck up all the lines in that and splat them down. I am sure there must be an even easier way to do this with some kind of Java functions that load and save SVG files.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Nice one Ramah.

On the SVG thing, its just text. If you get someone like Ravs to knock up some SVG trees then you can look at the code lines. For example take this one:
    http://www.openclipart.org/people/rg...imple_tree.svg
    If you do a view source in the browser you can see that someone did this one in inkscape. So just suck up all the lines in that and splat them down. I am sure there must be an even easier way to do this with some kind of Java functions that load and save SVG files.
    I am sure there must be others, but Batik is a java lib for SVG parsing...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I've done some work tearing apart and manipulating SVG and it's really quite easy given a decent XML library. All TreeThing would need to do is store the symbols in the defs section, then position a bunch of use elements using translate and scale.

In fact, this is pretty much all my own tree randomizer script does except that it uses a pre-existing set of 'use' elements and just randomizes the symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Cypher
    TreeThing is awesome and totally deserving of a badge!
    The Community Leaders agree! Congratulations on your new award, Ramah and thanks for making this wonderful application available to the community!

Ah Ramah your timing is impeccable. This is a cracking tool and swamps/marshland are something I was just looking about for. Top banana! (sorry, closet cityzen)

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. The badge is a nice bonus but really seeing people getting some use out of this is its own reward.

Jfrazierjr, thanks for the suggestion. I've often zoomed out or in and then lost my forest, and grumbled under my breath about it but it never registered enough for me to do something about it. Rest assured it will be addressed in the next update.

And thanks everyone for the info on vectors. It will still be a case of, "when I get time" but I guess it will give me a head start in my studying the possibilities.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on the badge Ramah, well deserved
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast