Thread: *** August 2010 Challenge - In the Beginning: a Campaign Starter ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thoughts running through my head of a slightly different approach, though still a hand-drawn piece, and in the same genre flavor of my July entry, a Celtic themed map. I think I'm going to create the Broch Tower hall of a tribal king and surrounding stone round houses and courtyards with a meandering path to the tower entrance. The PCs will either be members of the tribal royal clan, or one of the tribal member clans that recognize the royal clan for leadership. One aspect that's kind of cool, is that kings were responsible for visitors and travelers in providing both an inn and tavern before such things existed. So either the king's hall also served as a hostel for any and all travelers, or he funded a "burgh" or independantly operated hostel/public house that served that purpose. This being a less civilized reach of the Celtic expanse, the King's hall serves as tavern, inn and perhaps home to the PCs of the setting. It falls under border keep, home village and tavern/inn so it covers all the bases as a campaign starter.

Oh, and the big experiment for me, is that I am going try and create hand drawn text for this piece only. I'll probably trace and detail an existing font, but I don't intend to type out text directly on the map itself. It will add more time, but I think it will be worth it.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-03-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    ...Oh, and the big experiment for me, is that I am going try and create hand drawn text for this piece only. I'll probably trace and detail an existing font, but I don't intend to type out text directly on the map itself. It will add more time, but I think it will be worth it.

GP
    if nothing else, you are always ambitious. Looking forward to seeing some of these, and I am hoping to make the time to create one as well
    Something witty and pithy