Thread: Kobold Hall Final Room

Default Kobold Hall Final Room

Hi all, I'm a total photoshop newb, but here is my swing at the the final room from the Kobold Hall adventure. Everyone seems to use this adventure as a proving ground for using Photoshop for battle maps. I'm posting this here to get feedback and suggestions. Thanks! BTW, uploading the GIF for space, but I could upload the full PSD if you'd like to see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The True Threat.gif 
Views:	292 
Size:	583.5 KB 
ID:	27311  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

How are you going to be using this? Are you going to have the walls transparent? It's probably best to post jpgs as the attachments - that seems to be the standard.

It's a great adventure to take a fist shot at PS with. At the moment I'd say that the textures are overwhelming the structure of the map a little. I'm finding it hard to read the different elevations. Also, I can't remember what's in the middle of the room. It looms like ice from the texture that you've got there. Is that what it's supposed to be?

Welcome to the guild - chip in with specific PS questions and we'll help out in any way we can.

Yep, it's ice, so nice job there. On the topic of file formats, an image like this will probably compress better with jpeg, but it will lose the transparency. For lossless compression, png is strictly superior to gif, so long as you don't want animation.

The yellow grid divisions are quite jarring to me. They don't harmonize with the rest of the palette, and they're a bit too heavy. The walls simply don't exist; it gives the sense that this is a very open area when it is, in fact, a cave. I can, however, see the transition from dressed stone to natural cavern by the relative smoothness of the not-wall.

I think you should try to find or make some higher resolution textures. The ones you're using are very blurry, although they definitely do look like what they're supposed to be: rock and ice. Check out the Mapping Elements section—I think there's a sticky at the top with some sites where you can get good free textures.

You definitely have down the basics of battlemats in Photoshop. Welcome to the Guild!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name