Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

This tutorial is just beyond outstanding. It was quite literally EXACTLY what I was looking for. See, I'm a Linux user, and as such, the most readily available image software is GIMP. However, I never had a moment's thought that I might find a tutorial this thorough, SPECIFICALLY for the GIMP. I'm blown away.

A huge "Thank you!" (and some rep) goes out to RobA for taking the time to make this extraordinary guide.

Not only is it going to be a godsend for my map making, but it has taught me a lot about using GIMP that I'm sure I can apply to other tasks.

Now, I got a chance to play around with these techniques this evening, and I must say, the results are very satisfactory. I'm still just practicing, so I haven't done any editing on my current map project, but I've gotten the hang of it and even added my own technique.

I made a mountain range and decided I wanted snow caps on the tallest peaks. So I made a new layer by copying the uncolored/greyscale mountain range (let's call it "Snow"). I then used the magic wand with a very high tolerance and clicked in the dark "non mountainous area", so everything but the lightest colors were selected. I inverted the selection, created a new layer, saved the selection to a channel and created a mask. I then applied that mask to the "Snow" layer", reduced the opacity to about 90% and this was the result:

NOTE: when I made this, I had no internet connection and was doing this from memory and I couldn't remember how to do the heightfield.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practice.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	4285

Looks pretty nice. You may also want to take a look a Karro's WIP thread as he took (yet another ) of RobA's tutotial techniques to make his mountains and the results are quite good I must say. It all depends on the style you are looking for. I would highly suggest looking up DanChops technique in his WIP thread for the forests, using plasma noise. The results are great.

Open a new thread and keep posting your WIP's up for everyone to see!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by dhalsimrocks View Post
    --snip--
    My sentiments exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    --snip the sequel--
    RobA's other mountain tutorial is here.

I demonstrate the results of RobA's other mountain tutorial here, then make my own adjustments to the process here.

DanChop's forest ideas can be found in this thread starting at post 18.

Thanks for posting the direct links Karro.. I just did not have the time to search when replying as I was on the way out the door.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I was deadly bored at work. This was more fun.

Looks pretty nice. You may also want to take a look a Karro's WIP thread as he took (yet another ) of RobA's tutotial techniques to make his mountains and the results are quite good I must say. It all depends on the style you are looking for. I would highly suggest looking up DanChops technique in his WIP thread for the forests, using plasma noise. The results are great.

Open a new thread and keep posting your WIP's up for everyone to see!

Joe
    I'd also like to point out that Joe, I'm guessing through modesty, neglected to point out his own efforts at producing mountain ranges, which by the end are fantastic looking. (Joe... the public wants to know, when are you doing a tutorial on those?)

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I'd also like to point out that Joe, I'm guessing through modesty, neglected to point out his own efforts at producing mountain ranges, which by the end are fantastic looking. (Joe... the public wants to know, when are you doing a tutorial on those?)
    <blush>

Thanks Karro, that means a ton. I was hoping to get it done this past weekend but stuff come up. Also, I have been thinking of how to do my part of the World building project, but am having a bit of trouble figuring out the style since around 85% of the tile is mountains and I have quite a few things I want to pack into the map so real estate is a real issue. Side view hand drawn mountains are out just because then I could not fit anything except into the small bit of clear areas.

I hope I can get some time this weekend or next and throw something together. Also, I have been playing a lot the past few weeks with various minor alterations to the technique to see which I like best and is easiest and I am still having trouble making up my mind. What I will probably do is go with one alternative and maybe make a few quick side screenshots to show a few variations at different stages and how they changes the final result.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

--snips the good news--
    Joe
    That's excellent! I look forward to seeing it!

I got to post nine before I realized everything was purple for some reason. Does this work with the newest version of GIMP?

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    I got to post nine before I realized everything was purple for some reason. Does this work with the newest version of GIMP?
    Yep. There are a few things that might need to be cleared up, but it does you started. Save a copy as a .jpg file, start a new thread, and upload so we can check out your progress and help from there.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast