Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Is there any tuto like this one (creating a map step by step from the very beginning to a well looked regional RPG map) for PS?
    Because I just found that I have this software on my computer, and it seems quite easier than Gimp (thus I have gimp in French, and the translation is difficult)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Look in the tutorial section for Ascensions Tutorials (there are several - and all quite good)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Alright, I can follow the tutorial well enough up until the last part on Post 4. It says to invert the selection and then '...create a new black layer...' I'm not sure what is meant by a black layer. Am I supposed to bucket fill the whole thing with black? I'm a bit confused on this, am I lost in translation? All the experience I have with photo-editing programs has been purely with GIMP, and even then, it's very little. I'm using the latest version of GIMP, if that helps.

When you create a new layer by right clicking in the layer window it gives you some options on what kind of layer you want filled (For example white, transparent, etc etc ). Be mindful though that when you delete anything on a black layer the selection you've deleted will be automatically filled with black.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I'm not seeing any 'black' options, is there something I'm missing?

Foreground color.

By default the foreground color is black and the background color is white.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Oooh, okay, I see, thanks!

Okay, I've run into another problem. It says on Post 8 step 5 to fill the layer with 50% grey. I have no idea what 50% grey is

I'm not sure how Gimp's color chooser operates, but that means a color that is 50% value and 0% saturation. Or in typical RGB colors: 128,128,128.

Any time all three numbers in RGB are the same, the resulting color will be some level of grey, black (0,0,0) or white (255,255,255). 128 is half of 255, so that's 50% value.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'm not finding a simple RGB scale, they're three other slides that change value when I put the RGB at 128, denying me a grey. I hate having to ask how to do something so simple, but could someone walk me through this?

Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast