Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Novice

Hi, I'm doing the tutorial but I'm stuck. I have finished the ocean part, and it looked about right. But when I did the Seashore Layer, my landmass continued light blue, instead of white like in the tutorial pictures. I took a screenshot. I also did the land part up to the Colors->Map->Gradient Map part, after selecting the fore and background colors as the greens, but the landmass continued light blue, and not green like in the tutorial pictures. If you notice in the screenshot, the layer thumbnail is already green. Anyone has any idea what I might have done wrong? Thank you.

Last edited by zehcoutinho; 06-15-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Guild Novice

I'm really really sorry for the double post, but I have gone back and done things again many times and I just can't get it right. Maybe RobA can help me. After I first made everything bluish (with the Colors->Map->Gradient Map command), when I do the Seashore Layer my landmass continues bluish and not white like in the tutorial pictures. I admit I don't know if this has been asked before or not, but this is a thread with 50+ pages, so I simply don't think it is practical for me to have to read all of it (if this is the forum rules I will, but under protest). Please help me!!!

Edit: One more thing, whenever the tutorial asks us to create a new layer, is it a transparency layer?
    Last edited by zehcoutinho; 06-15-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Guild Novice

Hi! i'm a macuser so i have a problem: i don't know where i must put the palette at the first step of the tuto! do someone know where i must put it?

Thanks

Alak, in the Gimp preferences, there is a "folders" section near the bottom(I THINK that's it.. going off of memory) Find the one named palettes, click on it and it will show you the location on your hard drive...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thanks I found it!

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Update on the regional map I made using this tutorial

Looking back through this thread, I realized I never posted my latest version of the regional map I did using RobA's tutorial. I didn't get all the way to the end, but close--I just have to put in the labels, compass rose, etc. But I have the roads and city/fortress icons on this one.

I can't seem to get the file itself to upload, so I am pasting a link to my personal blog, where I posted it last year.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/en...roads-finished
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Guild Novice

Hi, I'm Barbierossa (known as Tom). I'm fairly new to The Gimp and have been following this tutorial with great interest, in the hope that I can produce something that even scratches the brilliance of RobA's map.

As I said, i'm following the map tutorial, but every time I try to create the mountains, they look like areas of zits sitting on the land layer. I'll post a Jpeg here to illustrate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centennial3rd attempt.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	37819

I just cannot seem to get the fantastic ridged look that RobA achievs in his tutorial (I'm using the "Simple Mountains" variant located here.

If anyone can point me in the right direction from the Jpeg as to what I may be doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. If not, I can try to upload the gimp native file so it can be dissected...

I'm working on the project to produce a regional map for my friend's game world (a clockpunk renaissance-alike setting) and it's holding my progress up.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi guys I only just discovered this site unfortunately and I would like to follow this tutorial to make my campaign maps. I installed GIMP 2.6(.11 I think) on a brand new windows 7 PC. But I cant seem to get the colour pallette in robs 2nd post installed. I have no idea why it wont work. I dropped it into the right place but my PC leaves the icon blank so I dont think it recognises the file type. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And to the OP (and the rest of the community) thanx for this guide. For many years I have been doing hand drawn maps wishing there was some way to do them on the PC and get them online but I dont know anything about this kind of software. A friend recently advised gimp and searching some tutorials I found this wonderfull site. Hopefully I can get my maps done now and get my whole world online to make things much easier for my players.

Cheers

McB

Guild Applicant

This was great! It's helped me a lot so far!

I'm so happy right now I could cry. But I won't 'cause the people in my office will think I'm a freak but I digress. Thanks a lot, man! I've been trying to create maps for a story I'm trying to write for ages but they've never worked out. Now, I think this should make my life a lot easier and give me a sound background as to where I need my characters to go. There'll definitely be an entry in the dedication to you for this awesome tut!

Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast