Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post 13:Finishing the land up.

Forests are done the exact same way. EDIT - A Good Tutorial to making nice forests in this style in Gimp is here (Thanks arsheeshA). I used the same bump map as for the grass but increased the depth effect. I also put all the forest stuff below the mountain layers, so the mountains would appear to come out through the forest. You could do it the other way, and the forests would appear to run on the mountains. (as long as you make the forest colour layer slightly transparent. Here I duplicated the forest layer colour layer and set the mode to Grain Merge to emphasize the colours a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post13-1.png 
Views:	3022 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	1499

This is where you can start playing with colours to get them balances, adjusting the hue and saturation, etc….Here I also added a new bump map hinting at under-water features. I also added a layer of low detail , small scale cloud noise over the whole map in overlay mode, and toned down the dirt bumpiness.

Name:	Post13-2.png 
Views:	2350 
Size:	651.7 KB 
ID:	1500

The last thing is to stroke the shoreline to give it a less jaggy edge. Go to the Chanels tab and right click on the Land Mask channel, and go Channel to Selection. Set the foreground colour to the High Dirt colour (or a colour that complements the piece), and stroke the selection (Edit->Stroke Selection) with a 3 px fuzzy paintbrush:

Name:	Post13-3.png 
Views:	1733 
Size:	464.7 KB 
ID:	1501

Rivers can be added by drawing with a fine fuzzy black brush on the “Grass” layer mask.
    It helps to apply a small blur and then sharpen to clean up the lines:

Name:	Post13-4.png 
Views:	1601 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	1502

For additional effect, this mask can be turned into a bump map and applied to give the rivers a bit of a bevel:

Name:	Post13-5.png 
Views:	5358 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	1503

End of Part 2.
    Last edited by RobA; 04-15-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added link to forest tutorial